walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Rhinns of Kells

Rhinns of Kells

Postby dunrig » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:32 am

Route description: Corserine and the Rhinns of Kells, Forrest Lodge

Corbetts included on this walk: Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Carlin's Cairn, Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 27/04/2013

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I injured myself at the start of winter & its been downhill ever since. Never managed to get my big boots on, as perfect conditions hit in april work and family commitments kept me off the hills, its a balancing act that I hoped would get easier as the years go by - afraid not.

Enough already, missed by the munrobaggers as they head north the Galloway hills are special, all those oldtimers tramping in from Dalmellington station, Alex Harvey drunk & belting out 'an I'll gang oot o'er the hills tae Gallowa' , you've never lived till you've camped by the beach at Loch Enoch...

Got the bus on saturday to St John's Town of Dalry (I love the pilgrim soul in you) and used the S.U W to walk in to Meikle Millyea. By the time I left the village it was 3pm, birds were singing and sun was out, I planned a bit of nightwalking, by 8pm I was on Corserine & had put on all my clothes & still felt cold, decided to give nightwalking a miss. Dropped down off the ridge into a corrie to pitch my lightweight tent out of the wind. At 2am it was windy & raining, against the wind I was holding on to my walking pole which was holding up my tent, a battle of strength I don't really have the heart for. Held out till 6am, less windy it was raining and clag was down, for conventions sake went over Carlin's Cairn but the thought of a bar lunch in Dalry was calling me back, ah well Carsphairn & on to New Cumnock another time.

Walked out through a steaming forest as sun briefly came out. The bar lunch was excellent and had a relaxing camp by the river Ken, caught early bus out in the morning. Just by the way St John's Town of Dalry was on a pilgrim route, thus the name...
P1050432.JPG
river ken
P1050455.JPG
meikle millyea
P1050461.JPG
that contradiction- a boggy desert
P1050466.JPG
some drystane dyke
P1050469.JPG
forward to corserine
P1050475.JPG
on the way
P1050492.JPG
out of the wind i thought
P1050500.JPG
steaming forest -next day on walk out
P1050516.JPG
lunch this way
P1050510.JPG
peaceful camp
P1050508.JPG
view from tent
dunrig

Re: Rhinns of Kells

Postby dooterbang » Wed May 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I ventured down these parts few months back and experienced whiteout conditions for most of it.

Hope your injury has healed and you can get the big boots on this winter...which starts in July :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland