walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mist and memories on the Cobbler

Mist and memories on the Cobbler

Postby DonnyW » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 10/01/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday 11-1-10 and the toughest thing I did was climb out of bed. I went to work in the dark and I came home in the dark. I allocated work to the men and asked how their weekends went. It was out of courtesy because I knew the answers

“Great DonnyW.. we got **** then went to the nighclubs… Big John scored big time … Stayed in bed till mid day .. mega hangover .. etc”

Yup I could have predicted that. They do the same thing every weekend. No one asked what kind of weekend I had and I never offered

I settled down and waited for the phone to start. It was a busy day. Full of problems and more work. Every call I answered seemed to have someone saying they couldn’t do their job because … Or…. How do I do this or that .. Or … can you get me a …..

I longed for someone to phone and say .. Hey DonnyW .. this job is finished and all went well.

I guess that’s why on my weekends I head for the hills alone. I like to be the first on the slopes and get home before the hustle and bustle starts. I don’t take a mobile phone with me because I hate phones. They remind me of Mondays.

I though back to my own weekend. I climbed the Cobbler on Saturday.
If anyone wonders why I do it. . now you know :-D

I was one of the first cars in the car park and headed up the twisting icy path. I had not yet decided where I was going to go. It could have been to any of the hills in the area. I was just glad of the silence and the wide open spaces.

The mist was down so I couldn’t see the tops. It swirled in the light winds occasionally giving glimpses of the cobbler’s and Narnain’s rocky flanks.

Decision time. What should I do ? Carry on and go to Beinn Ime ? Narnain ? The Cobbler by the back route ?

I looked to the snow for help. There were no footprints heading up the front route of the Cobbler. Good, that’s the way I will go. I don’t mind wandering alone in the mist. It helps clear my mind of the fog from the previous week’s work. I followed the path but within a hundred yards it disappears completely. Its obvious scar now indistinct on the rocky ground and lost beneath the snow.

I started to feel happier. All thoughts of work melted as the mist thickened. No more ringing phones in my ears. I heard only silence. I saw strange shapes loom ahead. I started to forget reality and enter a world of my own

I warmed to the feel of the cold snow. It’s was holding my weight. I sometimes searched for signs of the path and wondered if I was near it. I navigate by instinct and misty memories of visits long ago.

As the slopes steepen, memories of a friend forever lost among the rocks loomed in the mist ahead. Was that the cliffs of the north summit taking shape high above ? How did I get here so quickly? Doesn’t time fly when you are lost with your own thoughts ?

The cliffs above brought me back to reality. I knew it wasn’t the path I was looking for, I was looking for something I could never find.

I decide to head for the summit ridge. It was up frozen grass, ice and a thin covering of snow but the front points of my crampons took it easily in their stride

I reached the top as the mists below start to clear. I enjoyed the view. It had been a long time since I had seen it but it hadn’t changed. Some things never change.

For a corbett the Cobbler has some impressive views and its well worth the effort

But please note that going up the front path in winter conditions is totally different than in summer, it can be a killer.

Thanks for reading my walk report
DonnyW

Re: Mist and memories on the Cobbler

Postby bazer100 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:46 pm

sounded like a really good day out on the cobbler, one thing i would say though, always take your mobile out with you, never know when you might need it

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Re: Mist and memories on the Cobbler

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:40 pm

The black and white photos look stunning Donny - a great way to be able to get the contrast right. I really enjoyed your intro - and know exactly where you were coming from on the mobile (I refused to even own one until being forced to do so to help run the business)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland