walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorm Corbetts - a bike and hike...

Cairngorm Corbetts - a bike and hike...

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag an Dail Bheag, Culardoch

Date walked: 06/05/2013

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 865m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn Liath (862m) and Culardoch (900m)

A change of plans on Saturday evening led to a quick decision to try these two Corbetts in Deeside. I had not been out to the hills with my mountain bike for ages so was looking forward to the descent!!

Up early and maps printed (and OS map looked out) and bike and kit thrown into the back of car. Reached Keiloch about 09.45 and was off around 10 ish. Forecast was indicating strong winds and cloud around 900m so I was pleasantly surprised to find mainly blue skies iin Deeside.
DSC05970.JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlandsmountains/8710037485/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlandsmountains/8710038681/
I cycled up through Invercauld forest until reaching the open moorland. The track was good and progress was steady. The views back toward Lochnagar and Glenshee were fantastic.
DSC05984.JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlandsmountains/8710040543/
I dropped the bike before Bealach Dearg and headed up Carn Liath first. The wind was strong on top however the lack of cloud and views made up for being blown about. I decided to make a trip to all three tops , just in case (map and descriptions suggest two or three summits around the 862m mark!!). Great views to Ben Avon and Beinn a’ Bhuird which still had snow covering them.

The hill was relatively busy given the nature of these hills – must have been due to the bank holiday weekend.

After a bite to eat on the Eastern top I made my may leisurely (had wind at my back now!) to the bike and then towards Culardoch.

I pushed the bike as far up Culradoch as possible (trying to make an easier descent) but eventually the track ran out and I hiked up the final few hundred metres. The top was windy and cloud was now starting to fill the sky – time to go home. A great descent off the hill saw me back at the car about 40 mins after leaving the top (with a few stops to chat!).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlandsmountains/8711173462/
wilkiemurray

Re: Cairngorm Corbetts - a bike and hike...

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm

What, no chopper sound effect on the route fly through.............sort it out :lol: nice report none the less :D
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon May 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Stuart Angus wrote:What, no chopper sound effect on the route fly through.............sort it outD

Darn it - I knew I'd forgotten something!!- :lol: haha - (standards dropping will sort it for next one :lol: ):crazy:
wilkiemurray

Postby hills » Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Looks a decent day this, must add it to the long list... :lol:
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Could try it this weekend if only one day off.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby denfinella » Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 pm

You definitely post some of the best video reports seen on walkhighlands - very slick. Although I think you were breaking the speed limit at 4:02, and "steaming boots" isn't a nice image :shock:

Happy you got such nice weather / photos :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue May 07, 2013 7:18 pm

hills wrote:Looks a decent day this, must add it to the long list... :lol:

Was ok :)

take the bike as makes descent good fun (and quicker) :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 pm

denfinella wrote: Although I think you were breaking the speed limit at 4:02, and "steaming boots" isn't a nice image :shock: )

Yes - a very speedy descent -lol

I agree - steaming boots not a nice image - especially after my feet have been perspiring in them for hours and hours :lol: :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm

denfinella wrote:You definitely post some of the best video reports seen on walkhighlands - very slick. )

Thanks - much appreciated - M :)
wilkiemurray

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland