walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairngorm Corbett - Meall a'Bhuachaille

Cairngorm Corbett - Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby gyles » Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 07/05/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.74 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A short 6 mile walk, starting at 8.45 from Glenmore Lodge this morning. Headed north east through the Ryvoan Pass towards Ryvoan Bothy, straight forward easy level walking on a good path. Turning off at the bothy to start climbing at a steady gradient all the way to the summit which was reached in just over an hour.

Fantastic views over Speyside and Moray to the north, Aviemore to the west and the Cairngorms and Loch Morlich to the south. Lucky with a break in the weather today, glorious sunshine, little wind and not much cloud of which was starting to lift off the munro summits.

Had a good 30 minutes to myself on the summit, snapping away with the camera and made my way back down westerly. It was at this point I finally came across some fellow walkers climbing towards me. It was too nice not to bump into someone on my travels.

I could have carried on further along the range doing a longer circuit but decided to make it a short one today so I cut back down the path leading into the Glenmore campsite. I had a wander along to the beach at Loch Morlich and enjoyed a 15 minute sit down admiring the scenery. I made my way back to Glenmore lodge for 11.45.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

001.JPG
An Lochan Uaine

021.JPG
Aviemore

029.JPG
Loch Morlich

062.JPG
Cairngorm range

045.JPG
Bynack More

044.JPG
Cairngorm

058.JPG
Braeriach

059.JPG
Sgor Gaoith

086.JPG
Loch Morlich

098.JPG
Cairngorm from Loch Morlich
gyles

Munros:26   Corbetts:5
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:22   

Re: Cairngorm Corbett - Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby hills » Tue May 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Fabulous, what a day for it. Amazing how quickly the snow has gone... I like this hill, have been up there a few times, it is usually clear when the higher hills are well clagged, so its a great plan B. The green loch is sublime. 8)
hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Cairngorm Corbett - Meall a'Bhuachaille

Postby gyles » Tue May 07, 2013 6:10 pm

It's a very enjoyable short walk that I would recommend. Your right about choosing this one if your looking for something a little lower and out of the clag.

I chose this summit for the reason there is still snow on the munros. I'm not equipped or experienced for snow so I'm patiently waiting for it to disappear haha. :roll:
gyles

Munros:26   Corbetts:5
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:22   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland