walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - Hill not Bagged!

Ben Vane - Hill not Bagged!

Postby DJG78 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:21 am

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Date walked: 12/01/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first winter walk today was tough. I prayed that I’d be able to bag Ben Vane to add to my meagre list of Munro’s but it wasn’t to be. I started from Inveruglas, but parked opposite the farm on the right before the visitor car park to save over 1000yds walk. There's a left turn just after the bridge and route path on the left. A bit cheeky i know but there is room for 2 cars with no restrictions. I have parked there before when bagging Ben Vorlich. When Ben Vane finally came into view after 15mins walk I realised that I wouldn’t be making the top today. It was completely covered with icy looking fog from 1600ft up and looked particularly uninviting. However I thought I’d see how far I could safely get out of interest, secretly hoping the cloud would clear and I could make it! It was quite hard going as it was really slippy with all the ice. By the time I had scaled the first shoulder I was goosed from taking twice as many steps on the ice than required.

The highlight of my day however began just after I realised I could go no further due to fatigue with the ice, the terrible wind chill and crazy strong gusts of wind. I stopped for a quick drink and heard the sound of a helicopter. As I looked out over Stuc a Chrois an RAF Rescue chopper with the 7 of clubs painted on its under carriage came round the corner flying at about 1500ft through the valley. It was a pretty cool sight. As he disappeared out of view i removed my rucksack for a drink and suddenly it appeared again over the ridge of Ben Vane and hovered only around 50ft right over me. At first I felt like a naughty boy that shouldn’t be there then I realised that they were probably just checking I was ok so after giving the thumbs up and receiving a wave from the pilot it did another lap of the valley before coming back and landing on Ben Van about 500ft above me. I was curious at this stage as I then wondered if someone was hurt and they initially thought it was me but all seemed well when I spotted someone getting out for a recce before taking back off and heading out over Lomond with another wave. Wish I had my Camera. One of these days I will remember everything! Other than that it was a good day to test my new gear that i got from Santa. Bring on the spring so I can return for another bagging attempt as winter hiking is not for me.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Ben Vane - Hill not Bagged!

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:07 am

I'm a bit like that about the winter walking - I quite like it in the Lakes but it can be very, very hard, especially in Scotland. And the windchill I find an absolute killer - that makes me more tired than anything - even well wrapped up! Well done for getting so far anyway...
mountain coward

Postby allansmitchell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:20 pm

At least you gave the thumbs up, if you had waved they would have probably took that as a sign for help, been buzzed a a couple of times by the chopper when sitting having a cuppa, always give them the dont land sign (arms crossed above head) if they come to close, then get the thumbs up from them that they know we are ok. I know that because the public will not know marshaling signs, they have to investigate any signs that could be a signal for help (even the sun reflecting of your watch could be a call for help) and more so if they have reports of someone lost or hurt
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby DJG78 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:33 am

Cheers MC. I only get to come to Scotland every 2-3months so i try and make the most of it while im there hence why i plodded on for so long up Ben Vane to no avail. Did Ben Chonzie the next day which was murder on the legs wading through the snow but wind chill wasnt so bad so I managed to make the top which i was pretty chuffed about.

Cheers for the advice on waving to the chopper Allan. I thought waving might give them the wrong impression hence the the thumbs up but knowing the arms crossed sign could come in handy. However i dont think i'll be struggling up many more mountains in that kind of weather so hopefully i wont need it.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby stomper » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 pm

AAAAH so i'm not the only one thank god for that. When i start walking when munro bagging ( evern when you have walked in after 3 hrs) if the weather is crap i will mostly turn back. example whent to try Meall Glass from Glen Dochart and after 4 hrs of walking was about 60m from summit (Meall Glass Beag) and it was a 100% whiteout. No idea which way to go (evan with Satmap or compass) so decided turn round which i did. For me there's no fun in bagging munro's in shitty weather and they will always be there next time or should i say next week. For me munro bagging is not just a tick in the book and to say that i have done that one to me munro bagging is about enjoying yourself getting to the top and looking at the great views. I don't mind walking in rain but mist or fog well no thanks
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby DJG78 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:23 am

Here, here stomper. Your right. Its frustrating when you cant get the views because thats mainly why i do it. I love Scotland and its highlands, theres no place like it. I am just greedy and want to reach as many summits as poss for the experience (the satisfying hard work of bagging does spur me on though). :D
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby delberto » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:47 pm

ohh unlucky. i too had to turn back not far from the top of ben chonzie.
very disheartening. never mind mate once the snow and ice clears....

onwards and upwards
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland