walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Coyles of Muick, The True Summit, Small cairn, Big Cairn

The Coyles of Muick, The True Summit, Small cairn, Big Cairn

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: The Coyles of Muick

Date walked: 07/05/2013

Time taken: 1.7 hours

Distance: 8.52 km

Ascent: 360m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two previous reports, by Alastair S (small cairn) and Chris W (large cairn), gave conflicting info re the actual summit of this hill, my GPS could not split them in height, so none the wiser, just as well go to both, just in case. Started at grid ref 349928 at the end of surfaced road starting at Ardmeanach on the B976.
15.JPG
Parking at the end of the surfaced road
16.JPG
Track heading down Glen Muick, around the corner a cattle grid
17.JPG
Take the first track off to the right
18.JPG
The track doubles back on itself and again onto another track leading through the woods, soon your faced with a wooden access gate witha sign for Balmoral estates, keep on until another track leads up on your right, take this and follow a stone dyke remains of with some metal fencing
19.JPG
Old wall and fencing remains of
20.JPG
This track carries on, keep on it until another track at the high point of the track goes off to the right, turn right here
21.JPG
Leave this track at a not too obvious clearing in the woods and head on up the East shoulder, no path here, grassy and gets quite steep and rocky, a fine wee scramble until you come to Prince of Wales Cairn
22.JPG
Prince of Wales Cairn, not in the best of condition. After passing this stay on the high point until you leave the trees
23.JPG
First sight of the summits?
24.JPG
Large summit cairn on your right as you approach
25.JPG
Small summit cairn from the large cairn
26.JPG
Lochnagar from small summit cairn
27.JPG
Loch Muick from small cairn
28.JPG
The way I came up and the way I'm going back down, not hanging about the better half in the car waiting

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
29.JPG
This wee chap didn't make it, guess it succumbed to the winter snow. (note time shortened, jogged back to car)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Re: The Coyles of Muick, The True Summit, Small cairn, Big C

Postby hills » Thu May 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Quite fancy this one, love the area, this will come in handy. You and JC seem to be following each other.. :roll:
hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Re: The Coyles of Muick, The True Summit, Small cairn, Big C

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu May 09, 2013 3:59 pm

hills wrote:Quite fancy this one, love the area, this will come in handy. You and JC seem to be following each other.. :roll:

I liked this one as well, lots of different tracks, so be careful, I have tried to describe as well and accurately as possible. The wee scramble was interesting especially since I saw the Prince of Wales Cairn at the top, maybe when you do it you can confirm WHICH IS THE TOP! :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland