walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dubh

Stob Dubh

Postby soulminer » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob Dubh

Date walked: 07/05/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An early start again. Wouldn't have been if the weather was a bit less inclement, the planned camping trip with the Chaos Collies was set adrift on cloud of raindrops. So we are here for one of the planned hills anyway :lol: A quick day, and back home to begin the dreaded decorating I had promised to do on my holiday- shouldn't be so bloody accomodating :crazy:
Although the forcast was to be decent for today the weather in Glen Etive, when we drove down, was not as predicted- SURPRISE,SURPRISE, where's Cilla !!.

Stob Dubh from Coileitir:
IMGP0476 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Ben Starav:
IMGP0475 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Not to worry were are heading up anyway, it will be the coming down again that may pose a few problems, considering the steepness of the todays target :lol:
Set off towards the cottage under Stob Dubh after taking the track on the left from the bridge. Some deer along this route, but they seemed to move quick enough when they spotted the Collies.

Stob Dubh on route:
IMGP0478 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A pleasant stroll along with blue sky occasionally peering through the mist down here, and clag up there :wink: We reached the bridge, just before the cottage to find a whole herd of deer- 30/40, on the rise- off the track, to Glen Ceitlein. They spotted the dogs, who seemed to have a slight interest in proceedings, and 'white-arsed' it off up the glen, with the dogs sniffing the air :lol: We crossed over on the left-hand side of the wall and headed for the rise up to the fence line,and onto a -sort of- path.

IMGP0479 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

From hear on in the only way is up- steeply :wink: Reached the first crag and went round the right hand side of it, and zig-zaged our way from there really :)

A few pics from the route so far :

IMGP0481 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0484 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0485 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Deer spotters :

IMGP0489 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

In amongst the crags :

IMGP0490 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0491 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A slow climb up, as conditions underfoot were a tad slippy in places. Switched on my GPS as the clag was now engulfing us,and we had a piece still to climb. Came across several traces of paths on the route up, so not one general route- although one path seemed well trodden on our way down, but does disappear on route :wink: We crossed the head of one stream on this path, and traversed across, then up to under the summit. It had started to drizzle by now,and the clag was thick- so not much in the way of scenic vista to be had :lol:

Chaos at the Summit :

IMGP0492 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0494 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

I had just took a photo of the dogs and sent it to Doogz, when the phone went-and it was Doogz asking if i had went out ? I told him the message is on its way, and his phone 'pinged' Message received :lol: He was surprised when I told him it was claggy, as it had been forecast as 90% clear :wink: :clap:

Had a little refreshment and fed the boys, the off back down :shock: the route was indeed slippery to say the least, but not as bad as thought at first. Just our luck for the 90% clear to make an appearence on descent :lol: :lol: much fist-shaking and mirth :)

Back onto the path across the stream head and followed it along for a time -and, it disappeared :lol: Not a problem, We knew where we were, so just enjoyed the route down. The dogs had a fine walk today, and enjoyed posing for the camera as usual.

IMGP0497 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Some brightness showing through again:

IMGP0498 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0499 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Glen Ceitlein :
IMGP0504 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

'You took us up in that clag, now the sun's oot !' 8)
IMGP0505 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0508 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0510 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0511 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0516 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0517 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0518 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A very enjoyable walk today, I was glad to be out, and the Chaos Collies had themselves afine old run aboutin the Highlands :lol: A well recommended hill for people with strong thighs :lol: :lol:
Here are a few 'moody' shots :wink:

IMGP0509 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0515 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

IMGP0523 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

My fav moody shot of the day :

IMGP0506 by BoydBlair, on Flickr
Cheers.
Last edited by soulminer on Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Re: Stob Dubh

Postby Fudgie » Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 pm

The problem with getting a view from the top of one hill is that it just spoils you for whenever you head out after it :lol: I'll keep this one for a day when I want to give my thighs a pounding :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dogplodder » Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Let's hear it for the Chaos Crew! :clap: Glad to see those two beauties getting a good outing with a bit of deer stalking thrown in. :shh: And that the clag on top didn't stop you getting the usual quota of stunning pics to which we have all become accustomed. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby pigeon » Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Shame about the summit SM,looks a good one though,now added to the to-do list :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Sat May 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Fudgie wrote :
The problem with getting a view from the top of one hill is that it just spoils you for whenever you head out after it

Ever the optimist :lol: :lol:

dogplodder wrote :
Glad to see those two beauties getting a good outing with a bit of deer stalking thrown in.

They were positively captivated on the drive up the Glen, and on the drive out :lol:

IMGP0522 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Pigeon wrote :
Shame about the summit SM

Didn't make any difference to the day, it was a stretch of all 10 legs :lol: Views would have been a bonus- dems da breaks :wink:
soulminer

Postby litljortindan » Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Highly photogenic dogs or just good photos.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Pity about the top but worth it for the views down over the low mist/cloud - makes the early start worthwhile - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 14, 2013 11:14 am

Good stuff. Photo 485 is a topper, with the dogs tongue hanging out. :lol: They certainly like getting their photo took. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland