walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

Postby bio-man » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:09 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 09/09/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very very windy tested out my new Paramo Fuera Peak windcheaters and they performed extremely well, if a bit flappy. Took the train up from Dumbarton arriving just after 10am. Breakfast at the tea-room then a short warm-up back down the A82. There is a short cut before the mentioned lay-by that takes you across the field to the underbridge and onto the track alongside the River Falloch. After a short walk, there is an slightly obvious path to the right that takes you directly towards Sron Gharbh. If you make to a gate about the 400m mark, just below the craggy slope, then you're on course. The way towards Twistin' Hill is fairly obvious and the views start to open back towards all the hills accessible from Tyndrum. Between Twistin' HIll and An Caisteal, things can be a tad exposed if there is any wind about. There is also a small gully that it is a wind-tunnel!! I felt that I was actually parachuting, the gust were that strong!! There is an obvious detour to the right. A small bit of hands on before the rocky knoll as mentioned. There is a small cairn here which is not the summit, but because of the hands-on, could be easily mistaken as such!!

After the true summit, the descent to the Bealach Buidhe was unbelievable!! Been a while since gusts that strong!! Hat and gloves soon appeared, but at least the wind kept the clouds away. The views from these mountains is tremendous. Ben Nevis was as clear as day!! The short stretch of scrambling that's mentioned was a real bottle-tester for me!!! Not difficult by any means, but all the same, I paused for thought as I was solo. However the need to overcome was enough and I negotiated it fairly easily in the end. A tricky spot in the ice methinks!! Continuing to the summit is straightforward, then onto the next cairn which actually looks higher.

The text mentioned ...."Leave the summit by heading north back down the path you came on for a short distance and then continuing straight ahead down the grassy ridge" I couldn't work out as the track on descent is indeed nothwards, but not the path that I came on. But it's obvious anyway. When heading along Twistin' HIll, this ridge of descent to Stob Glas Bheag is very striking. Unfortunately on the descent to the Coire Earb I jarred a muscle on my left shin and struggled all the way back. I was aiming for catching the store which closed at 6pm, then a bite to eat at the Rod and Reel before the train. I would have made this easily, had it not been for the injury. I really had to push to get to the store, but this time for Ibruprofen and frozen peas!! Made it with tem minutes to spare and enjoyed an excellent steak pie, with an elevated leg and a frozen pea ice-pack!!

These are an excellent couple of hills, my third time in ascent, the first the weather was so bad that Beinn a'Chroin was a non-starter.
Total time from Crianlarich including injury was 7 hours.
Attachments
Beinn Tulaichean, Ben More and Stob Binnein2.jpg
Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean2.jpg
Looking down Coire Earb towards as many hills as you can imagine!!2.jpg
An Caisteal from Stob Glas Bheag2.jpg
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

Postby Rekrab » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:08 am

i did this the opposite way starting with the long slow boggy slog throught the glen and then doing beinn a choin first throught the horse shoe and then down but didn't find any decending route here would have hated to start there just knee high wet grass for like and hour.
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Re: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chroin

Postby bio-man » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:32 pm

I met a couple of folk going the opposite direction. I'd known from past experience that the 'hand-on' section would';ve been more difficult for me if I'd had to descend it rather than ascend....so I stuck with what I knew!!
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland