walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty……moisty…..Merrick, then ……...BOGFEST!

Misty……moisty…..Merrick, then ……...BOGFEST!

Postby PeteR » Sat May 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Route description: The Merrick via Loch Valley, from Glen Trool

Corbetts included on this walk: Merrick

Donalds included on this walk: Merrick

Date walked: 06/05/2013

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, it was a Bank Holiday weekend, which meant the weather would no doubt be pish and my car would play up. True to form, the weather forecast suggested pish and my car played up :roll:

Once the nice chap from the RAC had worked his magic on Sunday (other breakdown companies are available :lol:) the pull of the great outdoors was strong. So, whatever the forecast on the Monday I was going walking :D

Given the forecast suggested pish I didn’t see much point in driving hunners and hunners of miles just to get wet and see hee-haw. So instead I chose to travel just the 65 miles south (only the second time I my hill-walking that I have ever travelled south to do a hill) in order to get wet and see hee-haw :lol: :lol:

And the day’s target was the high point of the Galloway hills – Merrick. Had the weather been better I would have included the neighbouring Corbett of Shalloch on Minnoch too. But it wasn’t…..so I didn’t :lol: As it was I had a great time doing the Walkhighlands Loch Valley route in reverse.

Perhaps it was some sort of mis-placed snobbery, but I had always dismissed the Galloway hills for some reason. I’d always thought they weren’t as exciting as their more revered cousins up north. I’m happy to admit that I was wrong. It may have had something to do with the conditions on the day, but it felt every bit like a wilderness as I wandered about in the mist :D

I was a bit later parking up at the Bruce’s Stone car park, but I put that down to the big lorry I got stuck behind after Girvan. It’s a bendy stretch of road and the blighter wouldn’t let me passed for miles!!!!!
DSCF7366.JPG
Bruce's Stone

DSCF7371.JPG
View from Bruce's Stone

DSCF7378.JPG
Buchan Burn from the baggers path up

The “baggers” route up the hill should have given me the portents of what was to come on the route back. The initial path was a bit boggy and the rocks slippery, but it was still a nice walk into the, what I assume to be, ruined bothy.
DSCF7379.JPG
Baggers path

DSCF7383.JPG
Bothy

The route up through the trees immediately after was a fairly steep surprise, but once out of the trees the gradient seemed pretty gentle compared to many a hill I’ve climbed. At this point I was in the clouds and visibility wasn’t the best. And if anything it seemed to be getting worse :o I'd also made the mistake of keeping my specs on for this walk - can't see great without them :lol: but when the air is full of moisture I can't see with them either :lol: Became a bit of a nuisance after a while, as I hadn't got the case to put them in :( Won't make that mistake again :lol:

The path had improved though, being a very well maintained path up to and just passed a gated fence :D
DSCF7386.JPG
A "view" :-)

Soon after the path was replaced by a boggy, grassy path all the way to the top o the hill. Visibility was still non-existent. I did become aware at one point, as I followed the path up beside a dry stone wall that I was on a narrower ridge. Subsequent investigations confirm this as the Neive of the Spit. I could barely see the edges either side the clag was that thick :lol: Sadly I did see a dead sheep on the hillside :( Not the most pleasant of views.
DSCF7389.JPG
On the neive of the spit

Just after the path moves away from the wall for what I discovered was the final push to the summit I became aware of voices. I may have mentioned these voices I sometime hear in other reports :lol: This time though a dog appeared out of nowhere :? Blimey…..a talking dog :lol: Then its owners appeared suddenly out of the gloom :lol: :lol:
DSCF7390.JPG
More of those Merrick "views"

After a brief chat I was on my way and the final, short walk to the summit. Again, that just suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Met my third and final fellow walker at the shelter. Had a quick chat. He’d come up via the Loch Valley and Redstone Rig, which was my chosen route of decent, and was heading back down via the baggers path. I didn’t hang around on the summit long after he had left. I was pretty sure it would be a long wait for any views (Tuesday was full sun of course!!!!).
DSCF7391.JPG
Spring sunshine on the Merrick summit

The next section of the walk was great :D There’s no path down the Rig to Loch Enoch. It was a case of plotting my way through the mist, down grassy banks, through rocky outcrops to the loch side. I can imagine the feeling of being enclosed in the clag wouldn’t be everyone’s cup o tea. It gets to me sometimes too. But this time round I was happy to have disappeared in the clag, lost to the world for a brief moment in time 8)
DSCF7395.JPG
Heading down the Redstone Rig

Suddenly I arrived beside Loch Enoch. The clag was so thick that little of the loch could be seen, even standing close to the water’s edge. A little spooky in the silence and yet magical at the same time :D Quite a spot for a wild camp I thought. I hung around for a while in the nothingness that surrounded me before heading off for the return to the car park.
DSCF7405.JPG
Loch Enoch #1

DSCF7406.JPG
Loch Enoch #2

DSCF7408.JPG
Loch Enoch #3

Got slightly misplaced for a short while at this point :lol: In my head I was returning over the Rig of Loch Enoch and Buchan Hill. On my GPS I wasn’t :lol: It took me a few moments to get my head back together and I realised the Walkhighlands route took me round the Rig, via Lochs Arron, Neldricken and the Murder Hole and Loch Valley :crazy: :crazy: Eventually I was back on the walkhighlands route just before Loch Arron.

And here started the real bogfest :( :( All that had gone before was nothing more than a sideshow :lol:

Now, I’m quite partial to a bit of bog I have to admit, but this was something else :shock: :shock: :shock: On a scale of 1 to 10.............this was off the scale :lol: Pretty much all the way back to the car park too :lol: Although there is a path to follow the extent of the bog made for slightly slow progress at times, as I slid and sunk my way through the sludge. On the plus side the walk passed the Murder Hole, Loch Neldricken and Loch Valley was worth the effort, with some great views to be had :D :D :D :D
DSCF7428.JPG
Loch Neldricken and a Murder Hole

DSCF7432.JPG
Burn flowing into Neldricken

DSCF7434.JPG
Loch Neldricken

DSCF7450.JPG
Loch Valley

DSCF7454.JPG
Falls on Gairland Burn

DSCF7455.JPG
View toward Lamachan Hill I.......think

DSCF7456.JPG
A view east, toward the sea

DSCF7458.JPG
Another easterly view

DSCF7461.JPG
Loch Trool peeking out

DSCF7462.JPG
Loch Trool from below Buchan Hill

DSCF7465.JPG
Lamachan Hill direction again

DSCF7466.JPG
Final view of Loch Trool

Eventually I was back at the car, having enjoyed a good walk despite the distinct lack of summit views and then the bogfest. So, despite my initial reservations, the Galloway hills came up trumps :thumbup: I'll certainly be back at some point, although I'll probably bring me a snorkel next time :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Misty……moisty…..Merrick, then ……...BOGFEST!

Postby gmr82 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:22 pm

If you like wilderness then many a Donald walk will give you that. On a number my walks I've not seen a soul all day (8 hours last time!), as well as seen no view on many others. I'm with you on the mist though, I do find it almost quite exciting, at times anyway. Your report pretty much sums up my experience of the Donalds so far, great that you came back having enjoyed it too
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby kevsbald » Sat May 11, 2013 6:33 pm

I've done quite a bit down past you, Pete and it's just as rewarding. I too will be doing a wild camp over beside Mullwharcher (what a name!) and it's neighbouring Graham. Fab wee area - very wild.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby PeteR » Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 pm

kevsbald wrote:I've done quite a bit down past you, Pete and it's just as rewarding. I too will be doing a wild camp over beside Mullwharcher (what a name!) and it's neighbouring Graham. Fab wee area - very wild.

Cheers kev. Totaly agree (now :lol: ) that this is a great area.

When I was prepping for this walk I came across your report for Shalloch on Minnoch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You seem not to have enjoyed the bog on that route. So, in a round-a-bout way it's thanks to you that I chose the Merrick :lol: Thankfully though I wasn't stalked by any strange women on my trip :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 pm

gmr82 wrote:If you like wilderness then many a Donald walk will give you that. On a number my walks I've not seen a soul all day (8 hours last time!), as well as seen no view on many others. I'm with you on the mist though, I do find it almost quite exciting, at times anyway. Your report pretty much sums up my experience of the Donalds so far, great that you came back having enjoyed it too

Thanks gmr82. There's many a walk I've done too and not seen a soul and probably just as many when I've not seen a view either :lol: It's never put me off yet - in fact I'd say one of my all time favourite walks was in near total clag, driving rain and strong winds :roll: That's not to say that a day of full sun wouldn't go a-miss sometimes :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Interesting, Pete - have occasionally thought about going south but generally end up northwards 8) Looks a good wander despite the conditions...but very damp ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pigeon » Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Another fine report Pete and another place i've yet to get to,think i'll wait till it dries out a bit though :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Quality TR as always Peter,only ever done White Coomb & the Grey Mares Tail down south but have read a fair reports need to change this soon.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Don't know the area at all Pete looks worth a visit though , good report :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby PeteR » Wed May 15, 2013 8:14 pm

rockhopper wrote:Interesting, Pete - have occasionally thought about going south but generally end up northwards 8) Looks a good wander despite the conditions...but very damp ! - cheers :)

Thanks RH. You're right about one thing....... it's damp :lol:

A great alternative for me though on those odd days when the weather is rubbish.......oh, no, hang on.......that's every weekend isn't it? :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed May 15, 2013 8:16 pm

pigeon wrote:Another fine report Pete and another place i've yet to get to,think i'll wait till it dries out a bit though :wink:

Don't forget your snorkel pigeon.......you may need it :lol: I'm not sure if it ever dries out :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed May 15, 2013 8:17 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Quality TR as always Peter,only ever done White Coomb & the Grey Mares Tail down south but have read a fair reports need to change this soon.

Cheers gammy. It may not be in the realms of long treks in the widerness, but a great area for some shorter days walking :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Don't know the area at all Pete looks worth a visit though , good report :)

Thanks colla. Not quite the wilderness you have on your back door of course, but demonstrates the great variety of hillwalking to be enjoyed across Scotland :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Good report & photo's, that is on my to do list hopefully over the next week or so (weather permitting), not travelling for a couple of hours in the car to see diddly squat.
Know the area fairly well & have driven through the forest a few times :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland