walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Klibreck

Ben Klibreck

Postby maddjock » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:51 am

Route description: Ben Klibreck

Munros included on this walk: Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 30/08/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sat 30th August 2008

Finished work at 6am and drove north for the second week in a row to tackle Ben Klibreck this week. Travelling up the A836 from Lairg to Altnaharra, continue about 3km past the Crask Inn and park at the side of the road, there is room for a only a few cars - do not park in the lay-bys. A bridge here crosses the Vagastie river and a path continues eastwards, quite clearly at first, and following the course of a stream. Follow this path, passing a waterfall and on a further km to Loch Bad an Loch. The path is very wet underfoot. Cross the outflow of this loch at its southern end and follow the path - now very faint in places and little more than slightly flattened grass - for a further 2km, still eastwards and upwards towards Loch nan Uan and the steep slopes of Ben Klibreck. The path now is extremely wet underneath and the walk becomes a trudge until the path dissipates altogether. Make for the steep slopes in front of you and begin climbing. Hard going this. Around the 650m contour a good path is reached traversing the hill and the going is a lot easier from here on. After about a km or so of easy walking, a final effort is needed for the short pull up to the summit over a very rocky slope.

Ben Klibreck from the Vagastie bridge

from Loch Bad an Loch

the south western view overlooking an old stone shelter

2 trig points

an ok day this, weather was great, the solitude on this hill compared to Ben Hope the week before is very satisfying and the views are ok, though not outstanding. Looking north east from here over Caithness is bleak. Not a hill I would be likely to climb again except maybe under snow for a different experience. It is very easy to combine this munro with Ben Hope in one day as there is only about a 30 minute drive between them.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Re: Ben Klibreck

Postby canisp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Like the second shot best, showing the crags below A‘Chioch.
It’s been a long time since i did Ben Klibreck, but i remember there was a great feeling of space from the summit, standing alone as it does.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes, good photos, and my memory too is of a great feeling of space and emptyness above the Flow Country. That, and the fact that the route up to the bealach was ridiculously steep and slippy! Did you find that?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby maddjock » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:57 am

yeah pretty steep going for sure although not slippy at all...except on the way down a bit...
climbing up from the eastern side would look to be alot easier and gentler although would involve a much longer walk in.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby wandererjon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Great photos!! I used to work among those trees you can see below in the last ones. Yes, I was one of those responsible for planting the Flow Country back in the 70's, sorry :( . I'm trying redeem myself now though, I am now qualified as an ecologist :) . Apparently the FC didn't know what a disaster they were creating then- it was just open land......
wandererjon

Munros:4   
Fionas:12   
Hewitts:15

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland