walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn-mon-earn, take the rough or the smooth!

Cairn-mon-earn, take the rough or the smooth!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn

Date walked: 12/05/2013

Time taken: 0.8 hours

Distance: 3.77 km

Ascent: 161m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left Kerloch and headed over to Carn-mon-earn just along the road A957, a slip road to the Kirkton of Durris is on the West side of this hill with a reasonable car parking at the entrance gate.
1.JPG
Carpark at entrance
2.JPG
A good track takes you up through whats left of the wooded area as there has been a fair bit of tree felling recently. At the high point of the track and when it appeared to be heading off away from the summit I decided to just go for it and headed on up where the trees had once been, thinking I saw enough gaps at the far end which would see me take on the dreaded spruce trees once more.
3.JPG
Well the trees were closer than I thought but only for a wee while and I was up on the summit within half an hour, not too many scratches and certainly quicker than the track
4.JPG
View of Cairn from Trig point
5.JPG
Mast on top. On the way back started back down the track and bumbed into a couple of mountain bikers goin up near the mast. Folloed the track so far and once again it veered away from the car so I decided once again to go the rough route to save time and managed to get back to the car before the cyclists. So you can take your choice with the rough (quick way) or smooth (long way)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Re: Cairn-mon-earn, take the rough or the smooth!

Postby RicKamila » Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Been up there twice. First time got to the summit to be greeted with a thunderstorm, so made a quick dash down as the last place you'd want to be is next to them towers :lol:

Lovely views from there on a clear day. Can see Aberdeen and the Montrose Basin.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: Cairn-mon-earn, take the rough or the smooth!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 13, 2013 5:49 pm

RicKamila wrote:Been up there twice. First time got to the summit to be greeted with a thunderstorm, so made a quick dash down as the last place you'd want to be is next to them towers :lol:

Lovely views from there on a clear day. Can see Aberdeen and the Montrose Basin.

Your right about not being on the summit in a thunderstorm :lol: Nice wee bench on the top but I wasn't hanging about, had others to do, hence the short cut across THAT MESS, but it did save loads of time, I cannot believe the distance gained and hight loss by going the track, about 2k difference. At least the fallen wood was dry and not too slippy :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland