walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie - Munro Number 9

Ben Chonzie - Munro Number 9

Postby DJG78 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 13/01/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Woo Hoo. My first completed winter climb. Ok so it was on the supposedly relatively easy Ben Chonzie (hence the reason i picked this Munro) Easy in good weather maybe, not in Winter as I found out. Started at Glen Lednock. Was ok going until just after the dam. Then the snow started to get around 1 ft deep which slowed me down a bit. Followed a couples footsteps for a while before meeting them coming down about half way up. Thought I was the only one daft enough to be out in such conditions! Glad I wasn’t really as I was beginning to question my sense.

It was a bit daunting as visibility from this point was very poor. You could only really see about 15ft in front of you. Good test for the new compass though which did the job. I was particularly chuffed I didn’t get lost as my nav skills are poor but I did alright today. Fully intended to follow my footsteps back down, or should that be my waist marks as snow depth was over my hips in places which made it pretty difficult going. Snow shoes wouldn’t have gone a miss I was surprised to find. Glad for the compass as for all it didn’t seem like it was snowing within minutes my footsteps had practically disappeared which was a bit disconcerting. I spotted some massive winter Hares, about 5 in total. Couldn’t believe the size of them. They were like dogs. Too quick for my crappy phone camera unfortunately so you will just have to take my word on that.
Attachments
Image032.jpg
Heading back down about 2000ft
Image029.jpg
Although you couldnt see the cairn heres proof on the altimeter of 3014ft reached.
Image030.jpg
visibility zero practically
Image028.jpg
Half way up looking back down towards Glen Lednock
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Ben Chonzie - Munro Number 9

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:57 am

My navigation isn't great either but I usually manage... that's probably quite a featureless hill/route to do in bad viz tho... (although I haven't done that route as I did it from Glen Turret - up a road which wouldn't be possible right now). Glad you had a good first winter walk :)
mountain coward

Postby Alan S » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 am

Well done on your first winter walk
I also seen loads of hares when i was up there and also a few ptarmigan
I was up in feb 08 but there wasnt nearly as much snow as there is now
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby doogz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Ben Chonzie is 3054 ft..and has an 7ft cairn with large shelter..

dont want to spoil your sense of achievement but its a bummer to find out later you have not actually summited :(

well done on the walk though looked really tough conditions once turned back on the hill myself was on my own and it was sheer marble on the hillside but visibility dropped to almost zero as i switched direction to aim for the summit
i decided it was a day for caution and went back ...it wasnt moving anytime soon

Boy it was worth going back in the february

sorry if i seem to be shooting you down ..in no way is that intention

cheers

doogz
doogz

Postby MacCookie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:47 pm

doogz wrote:Ben Chonzie is 3054 ft..and has an 7ft cairn with large shelter..

dont want to spoil your sense of achievement but its a bummer to find out later you have not actually summited :(

Is it really 7ft high? I don't remember it being that big when I was up there last February! Perhaps it was the depth of the snow ;)

This is what it looks like without snow:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhowarth/4236387005/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmcsporran/2138960822/

There is another, smaller cairn that you pass on the way up:
http://www.meetup.com/scottish-hillwalk ... 3/7263019/

As for the altitude, the GPS could well be wrong - wouldn't be the first time. You'd be better checking the the grid reference against a map as that's far more accurate.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby DJG78 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Bummer! i thought i'd made it. Oh well, at least i made over 3000ft. Couldnt have gone on anymore anyway as it wasnt much fun without goggles.

Your photos look awesome doogz, amazing to think its the same place. Will defo have to retry after seeing your pics. Thanks for the info mate. Will try harder next time!! :)
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby doogz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Mac as i am 6ft 1" tall i guessed it being 7ft ...more a guess it was however certaintly taller than i

DJG was indeed a fab day it was t shirt wearing day for a long spell to the summit plateau area where i needed another layer or two and be jeez it was February
Lawers range across the way :D

the first time i went when i turned alone the morning should have given me a clue :shock:

as i said i didnt want to be a sour pus but info to me is always welcome

you should take the exact summit Grid Ref from the Smc book or on this fine site info
then switch your gps on when you are at the summit to see if its the right one

good luck if you go back hope you get a day like my second attempt

Doogz 8)
doogz

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland