walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

STAC POLLAIDH - blown away

STAC POLLAIDH - blown away

Postby blueyed » Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 08/05/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our last day in assynt, half a day actually as we were coming back to edi in the afternoon.

forecast for the morning was quite not bad, we couldnt have wasted such opportunity, anyway we loved assynt so much, we wanted to prolong the trip as much as possible.

i wasnt really sure what to think about the idea of climbing stac pollaidh. dont get me wrong, i loved the idea, but wasnt too sure what my legs will say when told to climb another mountain on the very next day after 20km and 10hrs suilven walk (legs didnt complain too much, after all.. muted by hiking boots)

we left lochinver early morning, drove by coastal road to aird of coigach, and then to stac pollaidh. the road slowed us down a little so for a moment i thought i will probably never get to stac pollaidh.

you cant miss stac pollaidh car park, though the scenery makes you look around, generally at higher level than the car park and passing places :)

path to stac pollaidh is very good - stoned and very dry. i read that it is recommended to encircle the mountain, going up on the east side of it. very good idea indeed, east side is steeper and you'll gain height easier and quicker, what is more, it is always better for your knees to come down easier, gentler way.

we reached the summit ridge after just 1.5hrs. unfortunately very strong wind discouraged us from tackling the very summit and the narrow airy ridge up towards it. i do regret it very much :( but the wind was too strong, i actually struggled to stay straight on my feet, not to mention climbing narrow, exposed ridge up.

hazy morning views towards stac pollaidh

from the car park, nice jagged ridge

as i mentioned, the path is nicely done, would give it a 'bog factor' zero really

suilven, we climbed this monster just day before

almost on the ridge

inverpolly

towards ben mor coigach

exploring the ridge, still hoping it will be possible to tackle the summit

ok, i give up. at least we could climb eastern summit no problem

very last glimpses towards the beautiful mountains

and if you wish to see some more pics, visit http://around-scotland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/trip-to-assynt-stac-pollaidh.html

cheers and enjoy!

Ela
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: STAC POLLAIDH - blown away

Postby Collaciotach » Wed May 15, 2013 9:44 pm

Grand photos :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: STAC POLLAIDH - blown away

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 pm

oh well it can't be all bad, some super photos there, and you get to go back for another go!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland