walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinne Ime and Beinne Narnaine

Beinne Ime and Beinne Narnaine

Postby scotdavid63 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 20/05/2013

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 1450m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, cracking day for hills, if anything the humidity and heat was off putting ! Set off with three dogs and four kids ranging from 6 to 15 years and aimed to follow the walk highlands route plan. However, when we got out of the tree line on the first section we picked the route that goes between beinn narnaine and the cobbler. Thank God because the walk up the front of the hill that takes you onto beinn narnaine is a total mess, more of that later. So, the mid point between beinn ime and narnaine is about 640m up on a well made path and therefore you have a choice of beinn ime at plus 375m roughly and beinn narnaine at plus 290m roughly. Assuming conditions are ok then you can do what we did which is both. However, we split the party into those who could bash beinn ime quickly and those for whom beinn narnaine would be enought. Ime was a poor walk up with plenty of bog, crap path and misty so up and down there super fast then stop for lunch in the mid point between the two. Again boggy there as reports suggest. The path up to here was very good I must say, hats off again to the builders and rangers ! So, refuelled we headed up narnaine whose name is close enough to narnia to keep the kids happy and intrigued. The walk up is fine but when you then look for the path back down off the front as reported in this walk report then you have a challenge. We took a very rough path with a steep descent on the left looking to circle round to the obvious path in the distance. Very tricky with kids and the guy who came up said it was straightforward after the steep bit but we didn't see any of his foot prints or walking pole marks in the mud ... Anyway it is all doable and we did it although you do need a decent level of confidence and fitness. The bad bit is the lower path, just a mess, often part of a burn and the rest bog, if we had come up here then none of us would have been up for a second Munro on the day and we would have soggy kids very early doors, no fun. I would NOT recommend going up this way, there is a fairly easy traverse from the main path between narnaine and cobbler between the corbett and narnaine itself. This path and the way up or down is also NOT dog friendly, big agile dogs only I would say, I had to carry our smaller collie part of the way
Cracking day out, wish I had not left sun cream in the car and many thanks to the kind gent who traded my 75p for £1 coin so that I could buy a car park ticket !
scotdavid63
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland