walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

south glen sheil ridge

south glen sheil ridge

Postby Stephenwakey » Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 20/05/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24.98 km

Ascent: 1818m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked up in van next to the cluannie inn the night before about 11- 30pm. met a guy called alex from hull who was pitching up his tent, arranged to meet up later the next day for a beer.
Woke up at 5 am, quick breaky and ready for walking by 5-30am.
Started off reasonable weather, dry, warm with cloud line at 500m. Walked up the first munro the quick way, right after the bridge, guick accent to creag a' mhaim, 2h 4m. little snow cover with drifting cloud, limited visabillity.
reached Druim shionnach in 2h 32m, Aonach Air Chrith in 3h 14m. from here took wrong path heading towards road, bit of scrambling over a few pinnicales then back again, lost 30m time derrr :( .
From here cloud cleared on and off to Maol Chinn-Dearg, 4h 34m.
no real views from tops but still a cracking walk, had 15m lunch stop the reached Sgurr an doire leathain in 5h 30m.
Considering i had a sore big toe and a cold the day before, I felt really good. :)
Pushed on to Sgurr an Lochain for 6h 05m. Could'nt see a thing by now but still felt good. reached Chreag nan Damh the 7th munro at 7h 13m. The time was only 12.43pm, wanted and felt like I should go on to the saddle but I couldn't see a thing so I decended down to the road, as soon as I crossed the road got a lift back to the cluannie inn for a time of 8h 45m. Still felt ok, drove to the kintail lodge for an hours kip then a great meal and a few pints of the black stuff with alex who I met the night before. Didn't see much but had a great day. :D :D :D
Stephenwakey
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland