walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn na Caim

Carn na Caim

Postby tmobyrne » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 am

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 17/01/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just a quick note on my walk up Carn na Caim on Sunday. Was looking for an easy hill given the amount of snow that is about at the moment.
carn_na_caim01.jpg
Carn na Caim Summit cairn

Had an early start at about 7.45 which meant I was the first walker out and had to make all steps for the first time, it also looked as though I was the first person up there in many days given the absence of any steps whatsoever! First 500m was making steps up to 12 inches deep in slightly soft slushy stuff. After that the crust hardened up so managed to stay on top of it for about 70% of the time which the odd breakthrough up to 24 inches!

The plateau was mainly hard frozen with a thin layer of 'ice' with the odd snow drift to stumble through. For once the Gods shined on me an the sun was out as you can see from the photos. By the time I made it back to the car the sun had gone and the rain arrived so I got the best part of the day.

For those of you who have not ventured up here, the plateau is featureless but you generally follow an old fence line to within 200m of the 'summit'

I am hoping to get up into the Cairngorms later this week, hopefully the wind has sorted ou the deep powder and some freeze/thaw should have hardened the crust!

Terence
Attachments
carn_na_caim05.JPG
Summit plateau
carn_na_caim04.JPG
Looking west from the summit
carn_na_caim03.JPG
A frozen summit plateau
carn_na_caim02.JPG
A frozen icy fence post!
tmobyrne

Re: Carn na Caim

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 am

I'm annoyed now! After last weekend's wading session, I decided not to bother going out on the hills this weekend. The weather at home wasn't even that great, and that usually indicates that it is even worse on the hills.

Looks like you had a good day out though.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland