walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Gulabin before lunch

Ben Gulabin before lunch

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Route description: Ben Gulabin, Glen Shee

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Date walked: 24/05/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.25 km

Ascent: 453m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well this turned out to be a scoosh :D I had selected Ben Gulabin mainly because I knew I didn't have an awful lot of time, mainly because Mrs Flyer is heading down to Newcastle for a "Hen weekend" when she finishes her work at 3.30pm :wink: So I left Fife nice & early (ish) 7.45am & was fully expecting to get held up with folk dawdling to their work, however managed somehow to avoid the dawdlers & arrived at the Spittal at 9am. Toilet stop at the Spittal & then find the car park, another reason for being early was to get one of the few parking spaces available, so when I arrived I was kind of surprised to be able to pick pole position :wink: I reckon if folk park sensibly there is ample room for 4 cars possibly more & still room for vehicles to access via the gate if required :D

DSCF1315.JPG
The car parking area with a bit of space behind the photographer

So once changed & ready for the off via:

DSCF1314.JPG
The access gate

DSCF1325.JPG
The path which is really easy going

DSCF1324.JPG

There was a small herd of deer dining on whatever deer eat, they didn't hear/see me until I had taken a couple of long range photo's then they scarpered :shock:

DSCF1321.JPG
Managed to disturb a few deer having breakfast

DSCF1322.JPG
The leader of the herd heading to pastures new

After turning left at the bealach & climbing for a wee bit the summit cairn then appears :wink:

DSCF1343.JPG
Summit cairn

That was basically it probably one of the easiest walks & absolutely no problems at all underfoot, a very good path for more 3/4 of the way up :clap:
Don't know if anyone else was out today, but it was certainly a bit breezy on top & not what we would describe as tropical :lol:
Managed to take a few scenic photo's from the summit & the area around Glenshee received a nice dusting of white stuff :D

DSCF1328.JPG
Summit cairn - not the biggest one around

DSCF1332.JPG
The area to the south - nae snow

DSCF1333.JPG
Gleann Taitneach (so it says on my map)

DSCF1334.JPG
Glas Choire Mhor looking quite spectacular

DSCF1336.JPG
A pointy looking hill (not sure what though)

DSCF1338.JPG
The Cairnwell (I think)

DSCF1342.JPG
Summit with a nice background

DSCF1337.JPG
Final one from me

So if anyone wants a 2 hour stroll to take some great photo's this is it :wink:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland