walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A glorious day, high in hills above Lochleven.....

A glorious day, high in hills above Lochleven.....

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Kinlochleven), Mam na Gualainn

Date walked: 25/05/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Ascent: 1600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two Corbetts by Kinlochleven

I decided on Glas Bheinn near Kinlochleven as a bike and hike day. Having previously headed along the track from the road leading to the Mamore lodge I knew that it was ok for a bike and that this would dramatically reduce the walk in and walk out time!

Video Report:

The forecast was an improving one with blues skies dominating as the day progressed and as such I also had in mind perhaps going up a second hill if the weather was looking good.

I left the car at the gate, not far off the road and a sign stated that no unauthorised vehicles were allowed past this point. The fact that it also said that the gate could be locked t any time made my mind up to leave the car here and not up at the lodge (turns out I was the only one to do this as the lodge car park was full on my return). It does mean a rather steep pull up to the Lodge but also meant a rapid descent route on the bike!!
WHDSC06171 (1856x3300).jpg
Loch Treig Munor with Snow cap

A steep cycle got me up and past Loch Eilde Mor in around an hour. I had decided to head to the causeway at the east shore of the loch and take a direct route up the hill. This would save time (and also the boggy path!!) to perhaps enable me to fit another hill into the day. A tight schedule was required as my other half was needing me home for 19.00 hrs!! The weather was ok at this point, a bit windy and the tops of the Mamores were in clag but this soon changed. By the time I reached the summit of Glas Bheinn (after a steep pull on pathless ground) the clouds were starting to lift. There had been a late snow fall the day before and the remnants of this snow was seen on the Munros , a few days from June now so hope that it starts to warm up soon!!
WHDSC06161 (3300x1281).jpg
Glas Bheinn Summit

It was now 11.00 and I took some pictures and video before setting off for the car. This is where the bike came into its own, and after the highpoint was reached it was a relatively quick cycle down to the car (the path is a little rough in places but ok for a mountain bike).
Back at the car I decided to head for the Corbett of Mam na Gualainn – just along the road. I had planned on heading down into Glen Etive to go up Stob Ban but the timing wasn’t right so headed for Mam na Gualainn instead. To my annoyance I saw that I could have actually headed up this hill from the Mamore Lodge on the bike and save a bit a descent and re ascent – however I only realised this on returning to the car – no point crying over spilt milk etc etc!! haha.
WHDSC06179 (3300x1164).jpg
trees and glencoe

By the time I reached the parking spot near Callert House – the weather was glorious. Really felt like summer and the warm jacket was left in car and the t –shirt left on as I headed up the hill. Sun cream was required too – could this be the start of summer (or Spring!!) at long last?!?!?!. A slow plod got me to the summit around 15.00, however every 2 minutes I was turning to take in the views across Loch Leven to Glence and Ballachulish hills. Bidean and Beinn a ‘ Bheithir stole the show and with clear visibility the landscape looked amazing!
WHDSC06197 (3300x1290).jpg
Mam na Galainn summit

A long pause on the summit and then headed back to the car – reaching it about 16.30.

Got home for 18.15. A great days walking in glorious weather.
WHDSC06215.JPG
looking across loch leven

P.S. Does anybody know if the Mamore Lodge car park can be used without upsetting anyone as both times I have visited recently I have left the car before the gate which equals a long pull up and a few extra metres of ascent? Would be interesting to get others thoughts on this?

Rest of Photos here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlandsmountains/
wilkiemurray

Re: A glorious day, high in hills above Lochleven.....

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I do like a good bike 'n hike - and what a great day for these two hills ! Enjoyed your photos and video - good choice of soundtrack too with Radical Face's "Welcome Home" - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 27, 2013 9:58 pm

I m no sure re parking, but I d worry that I come back off the hill and the gate is locked as the sign threatens :lol:

Still to do these , good report
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu May 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Collaciotach wrote:I m no sure re parking, but I d worry that I come back off the hill and the gate is locked as the sign threatens :lol:

me too!!

Still to do these , good report

wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu May 30, 2013 9:18 pm

rockhopper wrote:I do like a good bike 'n hike - and what a great day for these two hills ! Enjoyed your photos and video - good choice of soundtrack too with Radical Face's "Welcome Home" - cheers :)

Thanks rock hopper - hooked on that song at the moment! :) :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby hills » Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Nice one, not many people do both of these in a day, but why not eh. I was up MAG recently, and didnt get a view, really sad at that cos it must be a fabulous viewpoint, have to go back I guess. Alcan still own the land here, its cared for by an agent, havent known them to close the gate, but its always a worry, so ???
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 pm

hills wrote:Nice one, not many people do both of these in a day, but why not eh. I was up MAG recently, and didnt get a view, really sad at that cos it must be a fabulous viewpoint, have to go back I guess. Alcan still own the land here, its cared for by an agent, havent known them to close the gate, but its always a worry, so ???

I think if you can start at lodge and have a bike then doing these two is a good corbett bagging day :) ( just head up from lodge to MAG (unlike me)

Good to know they rarely close gate but knowing my luck.....
wilkiemurray

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Another excellent video.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland