walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond via the Ptarmigan ridge

Ben Lomond via the Ptarmigan ridge

Postby Premlal » Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 05/05/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 990m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi, during my week in Scotland 2 weeks ago, I climbed Stac Pollaidh under a nice sunshine, I failed to complete Cùl Mor and I did Ben Lomond via the Ptarmigan ridge.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having done Suilven last year I was pretty "confident" about the most southerly Munro. So I set off at 7am from Rowardenann under some high clouds:

DSC_8876.JPG
Rowardenann car park

I passed the war memorial:

DSC_8886.JPG
No fancy picture, just the one nearly everyone gets but I still like it!

DSC_8889.JPG

At some point I saw a sign telling I went too far. Obviously I wasn't the first. It kindly advised me to turn back and start climbing near the river:

DSC_8891.JPG

This was a very good tip indeed. Height is gained fairly quickly and the Loch starts to show as well as the Cobbler:

DSC_8894.JPG

DSC_8896.JPG
The Cobbler, pretty scary in his coat of clouds.

The views to the loch opening up. On the left poles can be seen if your are fit enough don't hesitate to pick one up and help the Rangers rebuild the fence. I didn't go very very far with mine but "Every little helps" (at least that's what my Ego told me):

DSC_8897.JPG

DSC_8898.JPG

Still quite a lot of walking to do with someone who overtook me with a pole (when I dropped mine five minutes ago) ... I really do need to exercise!

DSC_8903.JPG

At last the Ben starts to show...

DSC_8905.JPG

I think that calls for a wee break:

DSC_8923.JPG

At some point patches of snow start to show, I hope I haven't been over-confident :?

DSC_8937.JPG
It's not much but ...

I haven't got pictures of the scrambling part, I was too busy trying not to take off. It wasn't too technical but it did look steep and gusts of wind took my balance off guard on several occasions which got my heart pumping a little faster... Once I got to the cairn I could safely say that I really enjoyed the walk, some views from the top (with the impressive north face):

DSC_8945.JPG

DSC_8942.JPG

DSC_8943.JPG

DSC_8944.JPG

DSC_8953.JPG

DSC_8954.JPG

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Untitled_Panorama10.jpg

Ah, and to redeem myself from not taking pictures of the scramble I made a small video. Sorry for the music, on second thought it doesn't seem to fit quite right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ZroLAEhpU

To conclude, I guess I now understand why people say that Suilven isn't as difficult as it looks because Ben Lomond didn't look scary but my heart got pumping definitely faster than on Suilven. But that's no real surprise in the end, you should never underestimate any hill.

Cheers
Premlal
Mountain Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland