walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Challuim getting boggier all the time!

Beinn Challuim getting boggier all the time!

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 29, 2013 10:34 am

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 28/05/2013

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So we are coming down off the nose of Twistin Hill of an Casteil with another night to spend in the tent and time for another hill in the morning before going home. It was quite dry underfoot for the time of year so we thought it might be a good opportunity to climb a famously boggy hill and with the dreadful weather forecast a single was in order. what other hill to go for but Beinn Challuim?

Track_27-MAY-13 114511.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a hearty tea at the Real Food Cafe (highly recommended, you can get a pint mug of tea!) we set off up the hill from Kirkton Farm to the sound of the cuckoo in the woods to our right and shafts of evening sun across the Cononish Glen.
P5260745.jpg
Here are some hills I did earlier - looking over to the Crianlarich Hills

P5260748.jpg
cononish glen

There are some attempts at allowing native woodland regeneration on the lower slopes; these don't seem to be going that well, but it didnt help that the gate was open and there were sheep in the woodland. We did a good turn and fastened the gate with the string that was provided. As requested, we informed the office on the way down and the very friendly man was a bit gloomy about the situation.
P5260750.jpg

P5260749.jpg

P5260751.jpg
slighly alarming stile out of the attempted native woodland.

The bogs were really not too bad and we got to about the 630m contour before deciding it was a good time to pitch up for the night. (Actually I said I'm not going any further I have had enough for today!) we found a nice flat spot by a burn and managed to pitch the tent and get snugly into our sleeping bags before the rain started.
P5260755.jpg
Ben Lui and the tent

The forecast was for high wind and rain overnight with gales in the morning, but where we were was quite nicely sheltered so apart from the rain blattering on the tent we were quite snug. Of course in the morning we had to get up! waterproofs on inside the tent and a quick brew up in the porch was in order.
P5270757.jpg
we do this for fun!?!

We were up and away before 8am and were on the top of Beinn Challuim at two minutes to nine!! Not a day for hanging around really, but the wind was never dangerous. Navigation up this hill is pretty straightforward as there is a fence or old posts all the way to within a few hundred metres of the south top. A large cairn just before the south Top summit shows where to bear left to cross the cleft in the top and reach the summit ridge.
P5270759.jpg
Rudolph on the summit with a view to the east

P5270760.jpg
Me on the summit with a view to the West

I really enjoyed this wet and windy walk, it gave me memories of childhood expeditions across boggy moors in wellies and knee length waterproofs (plenty of growing room) with the sounds of "you'll feel better for this when you get home" and such like phrases ringing in my ears! Coming down the bogs was a completely different experience from going up, after all the rain of the night, and the burns had gone from wee trickles to torrents!
No more pictures of this walk I'm afraid but here is a picture of a 1927 car we met in Abington services on the way home.
P5270768.jpg

PS they tell us Sunday was a lovely day in Yorkshire!
Last edited by mrssanta on Wed May 29, 2013 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Beinn Challuim getting boggier all the time!

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 am

Nice report, I did Beinn Challum just over 10 years ago :oops:
Can't say I remember it being boggy & according to my log it was showery when I did it :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland