walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tuleichean on a perfect day

Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tuleichean on a perfect day

Postby mr_ash_37 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 25/05/2013

Time taken: 7.1 hours

Ascent: 1020m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Before I mumble on, please find below the link to my set of pics for this walk....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_rob_2006/sets/72157633764730649/

I've been planning this walk for several weeks now delayed mainly due to the recent below par weather, however leading up to Saturday 25th May 2013 I could see a cracking spell approaching and went for it and boy am I happy that I did, it turned out to be a cracker.

Set off at 06.45 and made it to the lay-by on A82 at 08.15 - this was with a little stop off to capture Ben Lomond at its finest on the glass like waters of Loch Lomond. 2 other cars greeted me and to be honest I expected there to be more, however upon returning after my walk the car park was full!! I was quite pleased that I made it out early. Clear blue skies and 10 degrees upon arrival at the lay-by. Kitted up and on the off by 08.30. I jumped over the first gate I saw into the boggy field and immediately remembered that there was a farmers road that led to and through the railway under pass, hey-ho you live and learn. I had decided to wear my Salomon XT Wing trainers and was immediately worried as I made my way through the boggy field however made it dry by clinging to the fence. The route thereafter was dry to my delight.

I followed the farmers road to the rickety bridge and crossed it as I decided to make my way via Grey Height and Meall Dhamh. Upon crossing the bridge the path disappears so I hugged a route beside the fence and thereafter followed the edge of the trees and Grey Height was then in view. A steep start but well worth it, it kind of levels out quickly and you get your breath back. Views open up and today the views were stunning up the Glen, of An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin. Then at Grey Height you get an awesome view of Cruach Ardrain which I think makes the route so worth while.

The sun was beating down with little wind however the temperature still required a t-shirt covered by a fleece ( plus my factor 30 was already on just in case ).

Not a sole to be seen and the summit of Cruach Ardrain was reached in 2 hrs 45 mins. Met a fellow walker already at the summit and enjoyed a long chat over lunch, he had come from Inverlochlarig side. Spent approximately 45 minutes chatting and having lunch before setting off to Beinn Tuleichean, which looked very inviting from the summit of Cruach Ardrain. Views from the summit of Cruach Ardrain were unobstructed and very clear, Ben Nevis, Ben Oss, Ben Lui, etc etc. Very enjoyable indeed.

45 minutes further and I was at the summit of Beinn Tuleichean, again a few fellow walkers out and coming from Inverlochlarig side. Everyone was in fine form and chatting away - mainly because of the stunning weather and views. Again spent a good 45 minutes chatting to others, picture taking and more food. Nice views south to Ben Lomond, Ben Ledi, BenVorlich / Stuc a Chroin, etc.

Set off on my route back to lay-by which entailed re-climbing almost to the top of Cruach Ardrain again before you meet the two small cairns which signal a small detour route down the LHS of Cruach Ardrain. Good path on this route and quickly rejoins the original ascent route climbed earlier that day. Good progress made and my feet were perfectly dry in my trainers ( good choice ) until nearly at the rickety bridge I found a nice bog and straight in I went! Hey-ho nearly back at the car.

Re-crossed the bridge and had to take a pic, the water was perfectly clear and flowing beautifully. Back to the lay-by, total time 7hours and 10minutes. Awesome day and can not wait to get bak out....enjoy the pics.
Last edited by mr_ash_37 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Re: Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tuleichean on a perfect day

Postby Rudolph » Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks for this - and the Ben Lomond photo too!

Good to meet you and thanks for the encouragement!.You were going a whole lot fater than us even with all those lost souls needing succour.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri May 31, 2013 10:24 am

Some world-class "man leg" going on in those photos, good effort! :lol:

Looks like a cracking day on some of my favourite hills, nice one.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby dogplodder » Fri May 31, 2013 12:56 pm

Good to see these two on such a glorious day as I didn't see much when I was up them! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri May 31, 2013 8:07 pm

Nice report, you did well to manage it in trainers.
I was up doing An Caisteal and Beinn a Chroin yesterday & came back down by the Falloch & I had forgotten how boggy it is.
We had planned our route to ensure we encountered the wet bits on the way out :lol: Having said that my feet were dry, so my waterproof spray must be working :D
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby mrssanta » Fri May 31, 2013 8:10 pm

yes it was actually quite dry on Saturday underfoot - presumably the rain on Sunday night sorted that!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mr_ash_37 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks again Rudolph. Ben lomond was stunning I agree, water warlike glass!

Cheers MT, lol laughing now as I look back at the posing lol lol....

Dogplodder, glad you enjoyed the pics cheers.

I know fife flyer was a real decision but happy I made it, they were very comfy just gutted about my mistake near the end, tiredness kicking in though. Cheers

Mrssanta. Was good to meet briefly, yeah we were lucky to be up then nice and dry. Hope the camp was good think your weather was ok on the Sunday....
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby oldrayne75 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Nice pics. Climbed this pair yesterday and saw nowt :(
oldrayne75
Hill Bagger

Munros:235   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland