walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby quagga64 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 29/05/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left house at 7:10 and went for petrol at Armadale Asda before heading up to Glen Coe. Weather was nice and sunny throughout and after the first half hour the walk was done in short sleeves adding to my sunburn from Saturdays Beinn A' Ghlo trip. Parked by the cairn opposite Buachaille Etive Beag and set off about 9:30. Four workers were clearing the drainage channels on the path up to the bealach and overtook them and made my way quickly up the steep path to the bealach. The whole route is pathed all the way even up to the two munros and it was pretty busy with other walkers. The path up to the bealach is very steep and mainly made up of large steps, it was pretty knackering and the hot weather meant I was glad to reach the ridge, the hard part of the walk over I enjoyed the short climb up to the first munro, Stob Coire Raineach. Took a few photos but didnt linger too long before heading back down to the bealach again and off in the opposite direction to Stob Dubh at the other end of the ridge where there was two or three groups of walkers sitting, good views down Glen Etive from here, stayed a bit longer here and had my piece and chatted to an English guy before retracing my steps all the way back down to the car, got back at 2:30 so it only took 5 hours, sat in the car for 20 mins looking at the map then headed down the road a bit before stopping at Loch Ba, on Rannoch Moor where I got out and walked about half way round the Loch before turning back, this took about an hour and a half. Got home about 7. That is 49 Munros now so next one will be a bit special.
Attachments
(1012) On the top of Stob Coire Raineach with Blackwater Reservoir in the background..JPG
On Stob Coire Raineach with Blackwater Reservoir in background.
quagga64

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland