walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby Andrew Woodrow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 31/05/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first Munro. A great start to what I hope to be a long and successful bagging career. Left at 09.30 a little over prepared with too many clothes in the back pack. The weather was clear but thankfully not too warm around 12 degrees. A well defined path which helped greatly as I was on my own and not too sure what to expect. I needn't have worried, I met a number of people along the way and all were extremely pleasant and were like me enjoying the views and taking their own time to make the ascent. It is not the easiest climb for a first timer but on reflection it was probably something I will remember for a long time. It certainly wets the appetite to get back out there and set off on number 2. It was only around the last 500m to the top that the beautiful views were replaced with a heavy mist and eventually a few drops of rain. (This is Scotland by the way & after nearly 50 years in God's Country I should know it's bound to rain at some point). I needn't have worried. After sandwiches at the summit and taking some photos for other baggers already there I set off with 2 new friends I met at the summit. We discussed all manner of subjects as we made our way back to the car park. We decided to return the way we had ascended as we were not sure how far down the mist was going to last. When the mist lifted we were happy to see the local search & rescue helicopter checking that all on the hill was fine. It's good to see that they are available when needed. We returned to the car park and said our goodbyes. They set off for a swim in the loch, brave chaps... I celebrated bagging my first Munro with a sandwich and a banana. Happy Days!!!
Andrew Woodrow
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby andyroog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:30 pm

Well done on your first Munro i done the same Munro for my first one and one never forgets you will be bagging with the best of them before you know it.good luck
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland