walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hunt Hill the long way round

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 am

Route description: Loch Lee and waterfalls circuit, Glen Esk

Fionas included on this walk: Hunt Hill

Date walked: 23/01/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 23rd January 2010
Completed by. Dave and Wilson
Weather. Persistent rain and sleet all day higher up, poor vies
Distance. 21 km
Time. 9hrs 10mins

Starting from Glen esk car park

hunt hill long way round.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was to be be 3rd time lucky, the 2nd time in 3 weeks. So my main priority was less snow!!

For a change I dragged myself out of bed pretty sharpish for me, 6.25 am, and were sitting at glen esk car park ready to rock
Still really dark at this time, so the head torch got an early appearance, heading east we head for loch Lee passing the ruined castle and the remains of an old Kirk on the way, (not that they could be seen mind you) but I knew that were there.

The track was pretty icy in parts, but once reaching the Loch the track was much easier going.

Passing the entrance to Inchgrundle the track heads WNW for about 1.5 km where a bridge is crossed and then a very sketchy path is picked up for about another 1.5km before heading up towards The Falls of Damff.

Since crossing the bridge 3km back, the snow has been pretty deep in parts, and mostly, was not frosted enough to support my weight and on reaching the part where you cut back and head NNW to head for the summit of Hunt Hill I was pretty much exhausted and did not feel that great at all. At this point I thought about just reaching the summit then heading back the way I had came or cutting of at Inchgrundle and making for the Track. ( decisions decisions ).
The Rains and sleet followed by the poor visibility had already long started and that last 1km to reach the summit was very tough going indeed.

Hunt Hill Summit.JPG

looking back to Hunt Hill.JPG

Bridge crossing Gorge near Falls of Danff.JPG

leading to Falls of Danff.JPG

Summit reached eventually, I don’t linger and head back down to The falls of Damff where I decide to just head for Cairn Lick and either head for Inchgrundle or head east along the tops.

I decide to head for Inchgrundle, and then later change my mind. Deciding instead to sledge down the shank of Inchgrundle, with the dog chasing me and barking like a dafftie.

……. much fun indeed……

But trying to get out of the shank was a total nightmare, and heading up the south flank was near impossible with the energy sapping deep soft snow. Eventually im back on track and decide to head for Skuiley and pick up the rather undefined ridge and head for Burnt Hill and then onto the Trig Point at Cairn Caidloch.

trig points (1).JPG

heading down from Cairn Caidloch.JPG

heading down from Cairn Caidloch (1).JPG

From here I head east for about 1km on what looks like a 4x4 track I think, but due to the snow its hard to tell, before cutting off North and heading off down the east side of, The Burn of corriehausherun and then crossing the river via a very shaky bridge leading in to a horse field.

scary shaky brig.JPG

scary shaky brig (1).JPG

Glen Esk Info board.JPG

A gate can be found at the northwest end of the field near the house that leads to the outward road. From here it is only about 300m East back to the car.

PHEWW.
Last edited by davetherave on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Hunt Hill the long way round

Postby malky_c » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:03 am

Looks like quite an epic that. I've done Hunt Hill by cycling up to the Falls of Unich, which was great, but I really need to explore this area more. Might do something like this sometime, although probably in better weather.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:08 am

Malky

Cheers, was a very exhausting day, and if im honest, on more than one occasion i wished i had decided to shorten the route. And as this route was my 3rd attempt i thought what the hell. :?

When i got home, i crashed on the sofa and woke 3 hours later. :lol:

Then again, maybe its auld age !
davetherave

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:44 am

davetherave wrote: PHEWW.

That's what I said and I was only reading about it! Seems quite an epic. Well done.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby davetherave » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks highlandSC

PHEWW
HighlandSC wrote:That's what I said and I was only reading about it! Seems quite an epic. Well done.

This was how i felt later
davetherave wrote:When i got home, i crashed on the sofa and woke 3 hours later.

Then again, maybe its auld age !
davetherave

Postby hills » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 pm

This area is fabulous, and that is some walk in winter, well done to you. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby kinley » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm

That's quite a route :D

We climbed Hunt Hill and Craig Maskeldie on a clearer day but descended back to Inchgrundle

It's a lovely area - IainG posted a corker of a report from heather bloom season 8)

The road up Glen Esk is a bit of a roadkill 'mare in summer though :(
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland