walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Beag & Aonach Mor

Aonach Beag & Aonach Mor

Postby gyles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag and Aonach Mòr from Glen Nevis

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr

Date walked: 04/06/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Overlooking the mountain forecast, the west was the most promising for the day. I was all set for visiting the Nevis range to tackle the Aonachs.

An early start, I left home at 4am heading for Glen Nevis arriving at 6. Feeling happy about myself to get in the car park before the crowds, there was only a camper van there as the occupiers were probably still in the land of nod.

With no wind at all, the sky was cloudy but high enough to see the summits. Amazingly it felt very humid for the time of morning, the car was claiming 12 degrees and it wasn't long after setting off further into the glen I was breaking a sweat. :crazy:

After passing the gorge the glen opened up and the Falls of Steall came into view which was very picturesque. I seen the wire/rope bridge to cross to the falls... looks fun, I'm looking forward to trying it out another time.

I continued to the Steall ruins and footbridge, the path branched off to the left to start the climb. I followed the path as long as it was visible but as stated in reports it does fizzle out. I took the obvious easiest route through also avoided climbing up onto Sgurr a' Bhuic which the WH report suggests. I decided to stay the same altitude to get across to the steep ridge of Stob Coire a' Chul-Choire. At this point you begin to get fantastic views of the Grey Corries to the east, Mamores/Ring of Steall to the south and Ben Nevis to the west. Plodding along at a steady incline I reached Aonach Beag summit 3 hours from the start.

With the top capped with snow I didn't want to stop here for my break, I headed down to the adjoining ridge towards Aonach Mor where I found a suitably dry boulder to perch my backside. It's fairly quick only about an hour to get from Aonach Beag to Aonach Mor. A slight descent to the ridge and ascent back up and your there with a large cairn marking the summit.

I trotted back the way I came to find the small cairn that marks the path off the range. It's not visible from the summit but if you follow the edge on your right side, walking south you soon come upon it. Relieved to find the path easily, I was a bit concerned of this steep drop down. This was going to be the steepest descend I've had in my short experience. But steadily and slowly I eventually made it down, definitely taking your time as the way to go. Once at the bottom I gave my knees a short rest.

I felt the hard part was done, I had the enjoyment of the leisurely walk out towards Glen Nevis. Amazingly I still never came across anyone on my travels, not that I was bothered, I like the feeling of having the surroundings to myself. It wasn't until 1pm when I returned to the Falls of Steall that human life reappeared. So many tourists wandering through to see the waterfall. I arrived back to a overflowing car park at 1.30.

It really was a great walk, more enjoyable with the feeling of getting in early and avoiding the summer crowds. The views were fantastic and one of the best positions to see Ben Nevis. One I'll be back to do again.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

008 Glen Nevis & Falls of Steall.JPG
Glen Nevis & Falls of Steall

010.JPG
Falls of Steall

032.JPG
Ben Nevis

039.JPG
Grey Corries

051.JPG
Ring of Steall

053.JPG
Aonach Beag

067.JPG
Approaching Aonach Mor

068.JPG
Ben Nevis & Carn Mor Dearg

083.JPG
Schiehallion on the horizon

090 Loch Eil & Fort William.JPG
Loch Eil

092 Aonach Mor summit & Aonoch Beag.JPG
Aonach Beag from Aonach Mor

100.JPG
The cairn marking the descent

101.JPG
Steep path down

123 Aonach Beag.JPG
Aonach Beag as I leave

131.JPG
Bluebells
Last edited by gyles on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Re: Aonach Beag & Aonach Mor

Postby riverlodge » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:52 am

nice report, some good views & bluebells!
like you always like to get out early, feel good (but obviously never smug) about being back roadside mid afternoon 8)
riverlodge
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Good effort. The ring is on my radar end of this month - so looking forward to it.

P.s I think you're doing yourself down - i'm pretty sure you walked more than 6k :wink:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby gyles » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 pm

laconic surf wrote:Good effort. The ring is on my radar end of this month - so looking forward to it.

P.s I think you're doing yourself down - i'm pretty sure you walked more than 6k :wink:

Ah well spotted, 16k not 6 :wink:

The ring is on my list to do, looks to be a good challenge.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland