walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty Mount Keen

Misty Mount Keen

Postby fionamac8 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 05/06/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 25 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello from a first time reporter.

My boyfriend and I are keen walkers looking to get more into this Munro business, so as we are pretty local, decided to give Mount Keen a bash. The plan was to tackle Keen then do some camping around Glen Esk for a few days after, hence the big bags in the pictures! The forecast was looking pretty promising for a few days in the hills so when I woke up to thick mist I was nae impressed! We arrived in a very misty Glen Tanar around mid-morning and set off...so far so good, until I take us on a 4 mile detour through Glen Tanar Forest by accident...ooops. :roll:

walkhighlands1.jpg
Very misty Glen Tanar!

So once we were back on the right track, things were going a lot better. The sun even started to make an appearance and I was almost forgiven for the detour. The landrover track through the estate would be pretty impossible to get lost on but always a relief to see a landmark and know we're heading in the right direction!

walkhighlands2.jpg
Burn of Glendui

walkhighlands3.jpg

Turned out the weather man was right! :clap: What a beautiful day it turned into, and soon we were glad of a rest at the side of the burn to paddle our hot feet and get some lunch. And apply a good slathering of factor 50 - curse you Scottish skin! The mist had now properly burned off and Keen was visible across the water.

walkhighlands4.jpg
No more mist!

walkhighlands5.jpg

Carrying on up the path, we crossed the bridge and set off up Mount Keen proper. The path steepens quickly and soon my poor legs were nae happy but not much choice at this point, keep going up. As the plan was 4 days camping, the boyfriend and I were carrying 22kg and 11kg respectively, so it was slow going. It is a long, unrelenting climb and with every step we became more committed to going light next time.

walkhighlands6.jpg
Looking back towards Glen Tanar

Had to cross through a patch of snow about 100ft below the summit, felt like I was on Everest! Once through it, just the last wee push to the top with the mist slowly rolling in around our ears. We had had cracking views on the way up but at this point Lochnagar was obscured by low cloud :(

walkhighlands7.jpg
The boyfriend resting his bag above the snow

walkhighlands8.jpg
The clouds rolling in

But BOY was I delighted to finally see the top! Munro number 2 - done. So after a few photies at the top it was a jaunt down the Glen Esk side and set up camp for the night in Glen Mark.

walkhighlands9.jpg
Near the top

Mount Keen.jpg
Obligatory trig shot

walkhighlands10.jpg

So all in all a cracking trip, well worth my tired legs the next day.
walkhighlands11.jpg
Sunset in Glen Mark
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

fionamac8
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Misty Mount Keen

Postby Sabbathstevie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Wow - some really atmospheric pics. I did this from the Glen Esk on a scorching day last year and it was a memorable day but it looks good from this side!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 pm

My first munro, lovely walk through glentanar, often took the detour
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Love those misty/cloudy pictures.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland