walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dreams do come true

Dreams do come true

Postby Bbbadger » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Route description: Beinn Stacath, from Glen Buckie

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Stacath

Date walked: 31/05/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 771m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a break from hillwalking of about 14 years Mrs Bbbadger came up with the crazy idea of climbing this hill during one of our sporadic get fit campaigns. I had done 61 Munro's in the last century and she had done 2 Corbett's, Ben Vane and Ben Ledi. This hill which she referred to as Surveyors Peak had been on her to do list for the last 15 years. So being the eager to please chap that I am I set about making trying to make her dream come true.
Being a bit better off in later years I ruled out camping and tried to book Accomodation in the local area which would give us a full day to walk and no time constraint. Unfortunately our impulsive need to conquer this hill coincided with the local music festival and there was no room at the inn ( at STRATHYRE) or anywhere else near for that matter. Fortunately we are one of those annoying caravan towing families and managed to secure a pitch at Immervoulin for 2 nights which solved the problem.
Setting off at 10 am after a bacon and fried egg double decker we parked at the bridge at Immeroin and set off on the right of way to Brig o Turk. The easy incline and pleasant views dispelled initial fears that we were to old for this carry on, although Mrs Bbbadgers confession that she had no idea how to use a compass did ring an alarm bell. Fording the river proved easy but the herd of cows up ahead was concerning. A small diversion solved that problem and we soon re addressed the goal of attaining the ridge after Mrs Bbbadger had posed beside some large boulders.
The steep incline at this point soon had me sweating like a rapist and stopping for breath after every 30 steps whilst pretending I was taking in the scenery. After resisting eating my piece several times we stopped at the top 1 K from the summit which was by this time shrouded in mist. As the body temperature dropped with the break we were soon wearing every item of clothing we had brought which was fortunate as the rain soon followed. We got to the trig point where we waited in vain for the cloud to lift while stuffing a snickers bar down my throat believing it would provide the energy for the descent. After 10 minutes and the obligatory summit pics we started our descent. It was at this point that I remembered suddenly that it is somehow harder and seemingly longer going down than up! Mrs Bbbadger kindly offered me her walking pole so I might have two, this took some of the pressure of my dodgy knees and ankles and after what seemed like a lifetime we were back at the river. At this point I admit I was on the reserve tank and stumbling rather than walking. None the less we made it back to the car and returned to the caravan for a well deserved Magners.
After a shower we were off to the Inn for the sirloin steak with pepper sauce spyed on the menu the previous evening, it may have been that thought that kept us going when spirits were low.
So, having made Mrs Bbbadger's dream come true we are currently planning more walks as a build up to Ben Nevis for my 50th in September, so stay tuned.
Attachments
image.jpg
Mrs Bbbadger on top
Bbbadger
Mountaineer

Munros:73   Corbetts:13
Grahams:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Dreams do come true

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks for a day in the life of a Badger family :lol: :lol:
Once again had to look & see exactly where the hill is :oops:

Wasn't a amillion miles away from there yesterday, was up Ben Ledi in supersonic time - not by choice, was with 3 much younger mountain goats :lol: :lol:
I wouldn't rush to go up Ben Nevis, the only enjoyable bit is the top 500ft or so that is covered with the white stuff, the rest is just a trudge (if you are planning to go up the tourist route) :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:47
Grahams:24   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Dreams do come true

Postby Bbbadger » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for the reply FF. I am 50 this year so was planning Nevis to mark the occasion, probably in September. Quite fancy taking in the Carn Mor Dearg arête? What do you reckon? Haven't told Mrs Badger yet, she's just seen the easy route from the caravan site opposite.
Bbbadger
Mountaineer

Munros:73   Corbetts:13
Grahams:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:30   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland