walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuillin Ridge Traverse from Elgol Part 2

Cuillin Ridge Traverse from Elgol Part 2

Postby tall-story » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 03/06/2013

Time taken: 19.2 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2563m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So here I am, this trip was on :shock: the forecast was looking pretty good all things are Go. We had just had a weekend in Mullardoch camping at the dam and with doing Toll Greagach and Tom a` Choinich (with all its deep heather) from the dam on the Sunday I did wonder whether my legs were up to another bashing on Skye :crazy:
We were heading north on the Tuesday midday-ish so I had to arrange a bit of toil/a-l from work which was very easy actually, as I have a great boss and he also had a bit of warning that this trip due, so that was that 2 or (3 if needed) days were sorted. Away we went and we had planned to meet our guide Di at the Kyle Co-op at six which we did and then sorted kit and food for the 2 days, and this was a first for me as I had never Bivvied before let alone on the side of a hill :shock:. We were due at Ergol for the boat at 9am so we decided that our camp for the night was going to be under Blaven at the end of Loch Slapin which was around half way and would give us just a short drive to out boat trip in the morning. Before I knew it the alarm was ringing on the phone and it was time to get sorted, a quick porridge, final check of kit and we were on the move. A half hour or so later we were at the harbour and I was greeted with one of my lasting memories of this trip and that was the view across the water to our starting point :D. So meet and great all taken care of we were fitted with life jackets a wee pep talk and it was time to get on the boat. No turning back now! 10 mins later we were at our drop off point and that was it ! All go. There were 11 of us on the boat so we opted to let them go ahead as we were just going to take it easy :wink: as this first bit is almost a vertical climb from sea level to our first summit :shock: . A couple of hours later we were there :clap: and the views were just simply superb in all directions especially the line of the ridge in front of us :clap:
I am not going to say a whole lot more, firstly because I am not very good at describing what I see and secondly I think photos will say an awful lot more. I will apologise to anyone who saw me being (dropped), not really :wink: from the Pin, I was just a bit concerned that, that wee rope would hold my weight :wink: Di did tell me it could hold a ton but that was just not convincing enough for me :roll: so I thought if I slide closer than a snail to green house glass I would be fine, and I was, I survived even with all the heckling I was chuffed :D Its not the exposure or the big drops that phased me it was just that wee rope! Although some of the big drops were a wee bit of a concern :wink: . On we went and the views were simply magical especially the sunset from our B&B window and the next morning sunrise. I will let the photos talk now. Oh I did get a lot better with the ropes by the end so much so that I would have liked to do the Pinn again before we finished. Also for anyone that has never climbed on Skye the rock is a rough as hell mostly and as a result very sore on yer fingers. Or maybe I was just gripping on too hard :wink:
A couple of days NEVER to be forgotten :D
Attachments
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (41).JPG
no1 Sgurr nan Eag
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (49).JPG
Sgurr Alasdair
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (53).JPG
Summit of Sgurr Dubh Mor
Looking North from Sgurr Dubh Mor `Skye`.JPG
Looking North from Dubh Mor
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (65).JPG
Looking South from Sgurr Alasdair
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (66).JPG
Rhum
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (68).JPG
A very happy Ms Tall-Story
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (70).JPG
Here she comes ;-)
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (71).JPG
Collies Ledge, Look closely at how small the people are on the ledge!
Loch Brittle from Sgurr Mhic Choinnch `Skye`.JPG
Loch Brittle from Sgurr Mhic Choinnich
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (82).JPG
Sgurr Mhic Choinnich
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (101).JPG
Whats to come from the top of the Inn Pinn
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (103).JPG
All done, just!
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (115).JPG
Sgurr nan Banacdich and what we have done today
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (141).JPG
Sunset at the B&B
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (151).JPG
Hazy Morning Light
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (174).JPG
Summit of Bruaich na Frithe
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (180).JPG
Nearly there
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (190).JPG
Just one more ;-)
Looking South from Am Basteir `Skye`.JPG
The Ridge from Am Bastier
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (206).JPG
Yehaa! All Done.
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (222).JPG
What a View!
The Cuillin Traverse May 2013 (212).JPG
Sgurr nan Gillean and the pinicles
P1020421.JPG
This did not include the last 2 summits and 1 more as we left our bags at the bealach.
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Cuillin Ridge Traverse from Elgol Part 2

Postby mountainstar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:16 am

Epic! :-)
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:26 pm

you certainly got the weather for it! I'd love to do that but I don't think Rudolph would be up for it
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:59 pm

stunning :D ..what great weather :clap:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Meatball » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Sweeeeeet!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:06 pm

WOW just WOW the views & your fastest moving speed WOW.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tall-story » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks guys :D Yes the fastest moving speed thingy :shock: that is a bit of a mystery :? I guess it may be summit :roll: to do with when I switched off the satmap at camp time and the time difference at 6ish when i switched it back on ????? Cool trip though. If you are gona do the Cuillins that is for sure the best way to see and do :clap:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:158   Corbetts:222
Fionas:37   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland