walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grey Mare's Tail

Grey Mare's Tail

Postby RobertD_UK » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:16 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: White Coomb

Date walked: 02/06/2013

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First walk of the season and my first walk report on Walk Highlands :-)

With the weather forecast looking good I headed down to the NTS nature reserve at Grey Mare's Tail. The plan was to see the falls and then do the horseshoe round Loch Skeen.

The trail up the side of the falls is well made and made for reasonably good going though there were many stops to take photos.

DSC01812.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01822.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01841.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01846.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

Managed to cross the tail burn without any problems (my walking poles are some of the best money I've spent on hill walking gear) and caught the wall that leads to the top of White Coomb.

DSC01859.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

After getting the summit cairn, it was time to do the loop round over Firthhope Rig, Donald's Cleuch Head and Firthybrig Head. The going was good and the wall lead the way.

After that it was down then up to Lochcraig Head for some more views of Loch Skeen.

DSC01892.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01897.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01910.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

Down from the head it was onto the shores of the loch which was pretty boggy underfoot. After the bog though, the well made trail was picked up and it was down to the car park, stopping of more photos.

DSC01926.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01940.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01947.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

DSC01981.jpg
Grey Mare's Tail

The weather was fantastic and falls were looking spectacular. All in all a good day's walking.
RobertD_UK
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland