walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn Ghlas

Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn Ghlas


Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Stuc, Ben Lawers, Meall a'Choire Leith, Meall Corranaich, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27.21 km

Ascent: 2163m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday was always going to be a day for the hills, so an early start was called for. Arrived at Ben Lawers hotel and packed and kitted out ready to go by 0615hrs. A short walk back along the road towards the Horn Craft makers shop with an immediate left turn around the back of the shop up a wooded path, past the farm with good signage provided.
1.JPG
The path turns left at the back of the shop
2.JPG
It took me about half an hour until I came to the final wooden style to get me out of the trees onto the open hillside. There was not a breath of air, and was it clammy, climbing up the South shoulder of Meall Greigh, I was needing that drink I had as I was sweating quite a bit
3.JPG
Making good time and looking back to what I had covered so far, Loch Tay was very calm, not a ripple was to be seen
4.JPG
Cloud refection on Loch Tay
5.JPG
Loch Tay, pity about the slight Haze
6.JPG
By 0800hrs I had reached the top of Meall Greigh at 1001m, view of what lies ahead Ben Lawers on the left
7.JPG
Large stone on the way to Meall Garbh with the Glen Lyon Horseshoe in the distance
8.JPG
Ben Layers from the same stone
9.JPG
Approaching Meall Garbh with An Stuc in the distance. By this time I had met and had a chat with a couple of guys who had bivvied overnight on Ben Lawers and were heading the way I had come from. There was no sign of much wind getting up and it was very close so a lot of fluid was needed
10A.JPG
Can you find the route up? it looks more distinct from afar as I found out as I must have left the path some where up and had to scramble a rather steep loose gully. By 0930hrs I was at the foot of An Stuc, packing away the walking poles, its a hands on job. Glad I'm going up and not down
11.JPG
Looking down from the path now regained to Lochan nan Cat
12.JPG
Looking over to Meall Garbh from An Stuc
13.JPG
Looking over to Beinn Ghlas from the summit of Ben Lawers
14.JPG
I met another two guys on the way up to thesummit of Ben Lawers and asked them if they were WH members, but no, but they did use the site for information. Me at the summit Trig point on Ben Lawers (kindly photographed by another hillwalker who was keen to be on the hills early to miss the crowd, I returned the favour and took his photograph
15.JPG
After looking at my water supplies and seeing very little left, and the fact that I had climbed Beinn Ghlas many times before and with the hill beginning to look quite busy I decided on the bye pass on the North side of Beinn Ghlas to take my to the point of access to the next munro Meall Corranaich from the bealach
16.JPG
Cairn on top of Meall Corranaich lookin towards An Stuc
17.JPG
The next and final munro Meall a Choire Leith far in the distance with what I can remember a wet and haggy descent towards the prominent cairn at the roadside near the North end of Lochan na Lairige
18.JPG
Looking back from Meall Choire Leith towards Meall Corranaich a fine dry walk on short grassed areas. It was about here I was pretty short on fluid and just happened to mention the fact to another walker who immediately said 'have some of mine' that's what I like about hillwalkers, will help out whenever they can. Thankyou whoever you were I needed every drop
19.JPG
Summit cairn on the last munro of the day Meall Choire Leith looking towards the Tarmachan ridge
20.JPG
The descent was not as wet as I remember as I climbed down Allt Gleann Da Eig taking care not to drop down too far but skirting around the base of Coire Gorm. I arrived at the roadside at 1345hrs, now for the walk to the hotel! no, first car to pass stopped and offered me a lift, what luck, but he was heading towards Killin, but that's half way to the hotel, go for it.
21.JPG
Well that four miles on the tarmac was torture, lots of cars mostly tourists, no joy, I guess most walkers were still enjoying themselves up the hills and why not, a fabulous day and there's not been many of them so make the most of them when they come along. YES, the Ben Lawers Hotel, what a sight, with heart and sole lifted I got my carparking pint, Aaaaaaaaah Wonderful!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by The Rodmiester on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Rod

Nine hours in that heat was a good effort, I did 5 and was glad to get down to Comrie for a couple of bottles of coke as 2 litres of juice was long gone.

I've only done a couple of the Lawers Munros, really should get back and do the others.

A bit of a switch of gear from the Sub 2000's you've been doing lately...............
User avatar
Gordie12
Walker
 
Posts: 1738
Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:17   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:17   
Joined: Sep 6, 2012
Location: Nr Forfar

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 pm

I just wanted to test the legs and stamina a bit :lol:
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby ceaser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:16 pm

hi Rodmeister ,i must have been just at the back of you ,i set of at seven and met the 2 guys that bivvied at the bottom of meal garbh ,they told me there was another guy in front of me ,i only did the 3 as thats all i needed to complete the set in there and i was night shift at night
User avatar
ceaser
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 403
Munros:249   Corbetts:28
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: dunfermline

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby k2scott » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi Rodmeister, the Aberdeen contingent from the bivviers here, glad to see you got the whole ridge done. Cracking day for it!
k2scott
Mountaineer
 
Posts: 1
Munros:89   Corbetts:11
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Jul 29, 2011
Location: Elrick

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Great report & some photo's that bring back memories :wink:

One of the lasting memories that will forever haunt me is the steep side of An Stuc, as I have stated previously I was intending to return back to the car by going back down the way I came up & that was just a no, no, no :( Just made it a marathon back to the car via the road & very sore feet :(
User avatar
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 2282
Munros:141   Corbetts:46
Grahams:35   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:2
Joined: May 15, 2013
Location: Guess?

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:50 pm

ceaser wrote:hi Rodmeister ,i must have been just at the back of you ,i set of at seven and met the 2 guys that bivvied at the bottom of meal garbh ,they told me there was another guy in front of me ,i only did the 3 as thats all i needed to complete the set in there and i was night shift at night


Hi there ceaser, I looked back from the South shoulder of Meall Greigh and never saw anyone, but my eyes are not as they used to be, getting old :) I met the two guys coming off Meall Garbh when I was going up. Did you get caught by two fell running chaps who caught me up on the top of Ben Lawers, I thought I was slowing up when I saw these guys coming behind at a rate of knots, but it made me feel a whole lot better when they told me they were fellrunners :lol: I too thought about the three but I was going that well and time was on my side, so decided to do more. Pity you had to work on such a great day :(
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:52 pm

k2scott wrote:Hi Rodmeister, the Aberdeen contingent from the bivviers here, glad to see you got the whole ridge done. Cracking day for it!


Hi again k2scott, nice to have met you and your mate, what a day, fabulous stuff. Hope you enjoyed your pint at the Hotel, I bet it didn't touch the sides :lol:
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Great report & some photo's that bring back memories :wink:

One of the lasting memories that will forever haunt me is the steep side of An Stuc, as I have stated previously I was intending to return back to the car by going back down the way I came up & that was just a no, no, no :( Just made it a marathon back to the car via the road & very sore feet :(

Hi there Fife Flyer, that was a very hard walk on the road, it seemed to go on for ages, it was only the thought of the refreshments awaiting at the Hotel that kept me going. :lol:
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Nice one Rod, great day for it :D
User avatar
Johnny Corbett
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 2925
Munros:18   Corbetts:200
Grahams:157   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:263   Hewitts:1
Joined: May 14, 2010
Location: Livingston

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one Rod, great day for it :D


Thank's JC, hope you managed out as well, it was brilliant! :D
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby ceaser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
ceaser wrote:hi Rodmeister ,i must have been just at the back of you ,i set of at seven and met the 2 guys that bivvied at the bottom of meal garbh ,they told me there was another guy in front of me ,i only did the 3 as thats all i needed to complete the set in there and i was night shift at night


Hi there ceaser, I looked back from the South shoulder of Meall Greigh and never saw anyone, but my eyes are not as they used to be, getting old :) I met the two guys coming off Meall Garbh when I was going up. Did you get caught by two fell running chaps who caught me up on the top of Ben Lawers, I thought I was slowing up when I saw these guys coming behind at a rate of knots, but it made me feel a whole lot better when they told me they were fellrunners :lol: I too thought about the three but I was going that well and time was on my side, so decided to do more. Pity you had to work on such a great day :(



i was setting quite a good pace but looked back and seen the 2 guys catching up with me ,i was sitting having some lunch on An stuc summit when they eventually caught up with me ,pink t shirt and elasticated socks :D told me they were practising for this ...http://www.wildfoxevents.com/events/current/artemis-great-kindrochit-quadrathlon/
User avatar
ceaser
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 403
Munros:249   Corbetts:28
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Apr 18, 2012
Location: dunfermline

Re: Ben Lawers Group, Running low on fluid and minus Beinn G

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:52 pm

ceaser wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:
ceaser wrote:hi Rodmeister ,i must have been just at the back of you ,i set of at seven and met the 2 guys that bivvied at the bottom of meal garbh ,they told me there was another guy in front of me ,i only did the 3 as thats all i needed to complete the set in there and i was night shift at night


Hi there ceaser, I looked back from the South shoulder of Meall Greigh and never saw anyone, but my eyes are not as they used to be, getting old :) I met the two guys coming off Meall Garbh when I was going up. Did you get caught by two fell running chaps who caught me up on the top of Ben Lawers, I thought I was slowing up when I saw these guys coming behind at a rate of knots, but it made me feel a whole lot better when they told me they were fellrunners :lol: I too thought about the three but I was going that well and time was on my side, so decided to do more. Pity you had to work on such a great day :(



i was setting quite a good pace but looked back and seen the 2 guys catching up with me ,i was sitting having some lunch on An stuc summit when they eventually caught up with me ,pink t shirt and elasticated socks :D told me they were practising for this ...http://www.wildfoxevents.com/events/current/artemis-great-kindrochit-quadrathlon/


Come on now ceaser, I bet you felt a whole lot better once you found out they were fell runners, I did, I caught up with them after they went up Beinn Ghlas and I did the by pass on the North, I met them at the bealach between Beinn Ghlas and Meall Corranaich and was not that far behind them getting to the top, where they headed off to the West and down to the road, maybe they thought I was catching them :lol: :lol:
User avatar
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 3360
Munros:104   Corbetts:194
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Carnoustie

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andy pandy, Cragrats, otter606, progboytam and 74 guests