walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3am start, Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime & The Cobbler

3am start, Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime & The Cobbler

Postby smalltounboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1590m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd read a few reports on here about walkers setting off early to catch the sunrise and miss the crowds, whilst part of me thought that they were clearly imbalanced another part thought 'what a great idea'.

I arrived at Arrochar the night before and set up camp and had dinner
IMAG1158_1024.jpg
Dinner at dusk

My alarm went off at 3:30am, so got ready and set off in the dark
101_1685.JPG
Dark o'clock

By 4am it was light enough to pack away the head torch
101_1687_1024.jpg
Arrochar before dawn

The Route up Beinn Narnain is pretty direct and steep, the advantage being that you gain altitude pretty quickly, by 4:45am I was already a few hundred meters up, just in time to catch the sunrise
IMAG1164_1024.jpg
Just before Sunrise

IMAG1165_1024.jpg
Sunrise at 4:55am

The early morning sun made everything look stunning
101_1696_1024.jpg
The Cobbler in the early morning sun

By 6:45am I'd made it to the summit of Beinn Narnain, within a few minutes I was joined by another walker who had camped out on the summit of The Cobbler.
IMAG1172_1024.jpg
Beinn Narnain summit

As always on a Saturday morning I was listening to 'Out of Doors' on BBC Radio Scotland, only to find that they were broadcasting live from the top deck of the 'Maid of the Loch' on Loch Lomond, I sent them a text to say I was looking down on them from the top of Beinn Narnain, I was pretty pleased to get a mention from both presenters Mark Stephen and Euan McIlwraith (apparently waving in my direction)

After a quick bite to eat and cup of super strength coffee I set off with Beinn Ime as my next destination
101_1710_1024.jpg
Beinn Ime

I found climbing Beinn Ime easier on my legs than Beinn Narnain, within an hour or so I was at the summit
101_1739_1024.jpg
Beinn Ime summit selfie

The views from Beinn Ime were breathtaking, through the slight haze Goat Fell, Schiehallion and Ben Nevis could be picked out, unfortunately beyond the capabilities of the zoom in my camera. Beinn Narnain however looked resplendent
101_1733_1024.jpg
Beinn Narnain from Beinn Ime

I was surprised at the view directly down the Firth of Clyde, even Hunterston A could be picked out
101_1726_1024.jpg
Iverkip & Hunterston A power stations

After a short stop enjoying the cool breeze on Beinn Ime it was time to head off and join the crowds on The Cobbler
101_1734_1024.jpg
The Cobbler from Beinn Ime

After reaching the summit I took my place in the queue and made my way through 'the eye of the needle' to the top, I wonder how long it will be before safety rails are installed
101_1743_1024.jpg
The Cobbler summit selfie

The walk back down to Arrochar was long and arduous especially having to step to the side constantly to let the trainer clad hordes make their way up to The Cobbler, however just near the bottom I was greeted with the finest sight of the day, Loch Long glistening in the sunshine
101_1755_1024.jpg
Loch Long

This was one of the finest days hillwalking I'd experienced on one of the best days of the year, reinforcing my belief that Scotland truly is the most beautiful country in the world

RK_gpx _2013-06-08_0337.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smalltounboy
Stravaiging

Munros:150   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1

Re: 3am start, Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime & The Cobbler

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:35 pm

Great report,

They are a cracking couple of hills, I had the same train of thought as you a couple of weeks ago, set off early, though I wasn't as early a you (0630)

I could just about make out my flat in Gourock from up there 8)
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby orion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:14 pm

smalltounboy wrote:The walk back down to Arrochar was long and arduous especially having to step to the side constantly to let the trainer clad hordes make their way up to

Oi ! I wear trainers on the hills :lol:
orion

Postby GillC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:20 pm

Lovely lovely lovely,,,fantastic experience to be up above the world so early. The Cobbler is sometimes thought of as an easy option, trainers and all,,handbags, jean, fluffy animal shaped backpacks etc etc lol But ive been on there more than once when conditions change in a matter of seconds, (on 2 occasions, preventing me taking on Ben Ime lol) :crazy:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland