walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Report (Schoolboy error or Senility)

First Report (Schoolboy error or Senility)

Postby Bombaybadboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Chuinneag

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 4.45 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very early start saw me arriving at Ardgay around 7am turning off the main road scrambling for my O.S. map I suddenly realised that Pitlochry/Blair Athol was about 80 miles back down the A9 --------shit a real schoolboys error.The night before 3 maps lay on my kitchen table ------yep too much of a hurry still in the past I have forgotten things like boots/food/ and once a passenger----he wasnt a happy bunny but at least it wasnt the return journey.Anyway where was I.... ah somewhere up strathcarron.One good point I did have my guide book, park near the Craigs before a bridge, funny it didnt mention a telephone box,nearby after another quick check I realised wrong bridge oh well I had geared up had a bite to eat then found the proper parking spot at Glencalvie Lodge.Through the gates it said wow how many gates did I count in all directions.

It was a super walk along Glen Calvie lots of small birds around (i'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to these) 55 minutes up to the start of the stalkers path. I had read it was a great path and wasnt disapointed especially with no map and the cloud at about 450 m.Continued up to the junction of the path elected to carry straight on, a mistake, without a map going left here is the way to go.As I passed a sheiling the clouds began to break and decided to head straight up on to the ridge over another top The clouds had broken completely the top was in my sights 2hrs 45 mins.After a photo shoot headed back down in glorious sunshine picking up the stalkers path once again lots of ptarmigan around but a distinct lack of birds of prey.Met 2 cyclists heading up the glen not far from the lodge Yes a very satisfying day having the hill to myself. :D

You make your mind up School boy error or senilty oh I have to mention I have been wandering the hills for 30 years.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bombaybadboy
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland