walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby Chantal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 09/06/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Setting off on a lovely Sunday morning. Cost of parking £3. Midges are a distraction when changing my footwear rushing me from my car and leaving my phone behind. Leaving the car park at the base at 0845 i start my ascent. The sky is cloudy to begin and as i reach the higher ground the mist draws in. It is a strange sensation to experience the heat from the sun yet at the same time the coolness from the mist.

I reached the top at 1045, surpirsed myself that i am still fit enough to reach the top. The view is outstanding being above the clouds with blue skies and sunshine. In the distance you are able to see a couple of other peaks just poking theirs tips through the clouds. The clegs were making a nuisance of themselves on the top reducing mu lunch and sunbathing to 45mins.

I began my decent at 1130 down the steep rocky face towards the ptarmigan ridge. Bringing back some wonderful memories of walking there with the family many years ago with the snow reaching into the water and the heat from the sun shining.

I returned to the car at 1345 with many people making the most of the summer weather with BBQ's on the loch shores.
Chantal

Munros:8   
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland