walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inn Pinn and Banachdich. 12 rounds with Tyson

Inn Pinn and Banachdich. 12 rounds with Tyson

Postby Louise993 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:39 am

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 01/06/2013

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Inaccessible Pinnacle .....well not much to say really but the title - Innaccessible Pinnacle should have really gave me a clue !

The day started off relatively nice with the 6 of us and our lovely guide Gillian for the day as we approached, it was getting drearyier, and dreicher. Jim , Murray and i decided to go last. and do it togethhhher

So after 45 mins of sitting under a storm shelter with 2 strapping men , freezing my buns off , playing eye spy (think it was an unconscious distraction) it was our turn.

Well all i can say was it was a lot bloody worse than i expected ! The little practice run down in Inverkeithing had done nothing to prepare me for what was in store. The weather was miserable and you could see heeho (probably best if i could have seen the true extent of what i was actually doing i would probably still be up there clinging on for dear life ). I went first with Murray and Jim behind, all was going pretty well till about half way up the first section. Then stale mate ....i could not find a foot hold at all , panic set in and i thought how the hell am i suppose to get up here ?
After stepping on Murrays fingers and some words of encouragement i just kinda closed my eyes curled me toe on a lip and prayed .....hey presto .

The rest was not too bad

Abseil i found it difficult to trust at first and was actually pulling on the rope which did not help matters (apparently a common occurrence) but once i got off the initial lip i was fine .
Although when i hit ground i did think my knuckles were sore for some reason . Later on my knuckles looked like i had went 10 rounds with Tyson and he had head butted my thigh !!

On reflection i realised whilst abseiling over the intial lip i had banged into the rock or rather my knuckles had and my left thigh . Strangely enough It was quite satisfying having some war wounds for my troubles.

It was an experience i shall not forget in a hurry and doubt very much i would do it again !

Although i would go up on a nicer day to watch others and take in the views (which we seen none of).

There was some chest puffing when we got back to the pub that evening as Jhonna (rather hardy,hunky, serious bar tender /mountain leader ) , who was up there at the same time, congratulated us on our achievement as the weather was shady and proceeded to explain there were growing men who crapped out that day . So with a combination of war wounds , appreciation and alcohol i was feeling rather pleased with myself.

After that we proceeded onto Banachdich which was a rather easy top and the sun came out as we were making our way back down to the car park.

What a day .

Don't want to put people off but i feel honesty is the best policy especially for the Pinnacle.

It's not for the faint hearted and possible i had led myself into a false sense of security by visiting the climbing centre, once! and a wee practice abseiling down a friendly cliff......once!. Although i do think the practice abseil (cheers Steve) did make the real abseil not that unknown to me which i do think helped ....i think !

If you have long legs you might be at a slight advantage in that you won't find the section i got stuck on that big an issue as you will probably be able to find a more suitable foot hold further up (which were just unreachable for me ...that's my excuse anyway :wink: )

Pictures ??? we might have a couple representing a few blobs in the mist, will post them up if there is anything worth posting .

Hope this helps and does not put people off

Have fun and stay safe xx
Louise993
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Inn Pinn and Banachdich. 12 rounds with Tyson

Postby ciderpeter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Congrats on conquering the Pinn!

I really need to write up my reports from the Cuillin back in April as had a couple of fantastic days in full winter conditions with Jonah - including the In Pinn.

I was surprised how little the Pinn phased me - in fact ledging across snow packs scared me much more and I actually froze at one point on the walk in and was almost crying for my crampons lol, similar situation on the walk down to the base of the Pinn across the snow! I didn't think I would manage the Pinn after that - I don't know if it was adrenalin or just having scared myself so much before looking at pictures etc - but we flew over it. I even found myself taking pictures at the half way point and looking down to try and instill a bit of fear lol! I hate heights usually and that was the case on the way up to the Pinn - maybe it was the security of the rope?!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared on the abseil as just previously the Marine we were with's harness had snapped. I had a quick check of my harness after that ;-)
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fipriestley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Brilliant! Well done the 3 of you (and others!) :clap: :clap: :clap: Long may your chests stay puffed out :thumbup:
I'm still looking forward to this one... :crazy: :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Louise993 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:47 am

Cheers Fi . Was hoping to see you that weekend , sorry you did not make it up was hoping we might get a wee catch up :-) . Are you leaving this till the last ?

Miss ya xxxx
Louise993
Mountaineer

Postby Louise993 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 am

ciderpeter wrote:Congrats on conquering the Pinn!

I really need to write up my reports from the Cuillin back in April as had a couple of fantastic days in full winter conditions with Jonah - including the In Pinn.

I was surprised how little the Pinn phased me - in fact ledging across snow packs scared me much more and I actually froze at one point on the walk in and was almost crying for my crampons lol, similar situation on the walk down to the base of the Pinn across the snow! I didn't think I would manage the Pinn after that - I don't know if it was adrenalin or just having scared myself so much before looking at pictures etc - but we flew over it. I even found myself taking pictures at the half way point and looking down to try and instill a bit of fear lol! I hate heights usually and that was the case on the way up to the Pinn - maybe it was the security of the rope?!

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit scared on the abseil as just previously the Marine we were with's harness had snapped. I had a quick check of my harness after that ;-)
ciderpeter wrote:Congrats on conquering the Pinn!

It's amazing how we all can have such different experiences on the hills huh. Are you tall ? :lol:
Louise993
Mountaineer

Postby brpro26 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:53 am

Murray let you go first....you didn't fall for that old one again did you??? You should have let Jim go up first but you'd have needed your headtorch to see the handholds. :lol:
I still recall Gillian's "assent" when I did it a few years ago....memorable, funny how things stick in your mind. :angel:

Perhaps Jhonna(is that the right spelling????) should give Pool lessons because you and Jim need them.

Too Roo....keep them puffed :shock:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Louise993 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:05 pm

Ha,ha Jhonna (no idea if it's right ) can give me pool lessons any day :wink:
Louise993
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland