walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting A Semi In The Grey Corries

Getting A Semi In The Grey Corries

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Grey Corries), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day out on the hills, another day of celebration.

GLW and I hit the halfway mark together on a spectacular hill - Sgurr Choinnich Mor, couldn't think of a better person to achieve this with. :D :D

We were in the tip top company of lovely Dawn (Dawnfoth) and the blue blooded Sir Jonny Mitch (Jonny616)

Sadly missing were my fave boys Rocket Ron - away conquering Loch Arkaig and Jock McJock- away contributing to the Russian potato economy :wink: :wink:

Top tips for this walk-

Keep driving up the crappy road until you come to a layby perpendicular to a forest track (this is your exit point).

Don't ascend Stob Ban from the bealach, follow an obvious path up the northeast side of the hill. This avoids a horrible scree ascent. Still have to descend it though :(

Once up on Stob Choire Claurigh you have an easy and fantastic ridge walk over to Stob Coire an Laoigh-enjoy :D

If carrying on to Sgurr Choinnich Mor, carry on along the ridge to Stob Coire Essian and then drop down a lumpy bumpy rocky descent before climbing up to the fourth and final munro. Unfortunately you have to reascend SCE but with the rocks being very dry it is quite easy and dare I say enjoyable.

Prepare yourself for a long long long walk back :( Look out for two burns that form a Y shape on the eastern slopes and just beyond that, with good visibilty you should be able to see a brown dam. If you head towards it you will pick up a path if you use the few deciduous trees to guide you. Once you have passed the dam, you have a few metres of boggy shite and then tarmac and forest track all the way back. Use your map wisely and try to ignore the path that takes you along the railway track- just because you can see it, doesn't mean you want it!!! And also there are lots of new tracks due to increased activity in tree felling.
me and dawn mim.jpg
minister j.jpg
haglofs.jpg
bothy view.jpg
me bothy.jpg
me sb.jpg
taps.jpg
dawn on water.jpg
me snow.jpg
ridge.jpg
view.jpg
view2.jpg
me and dawn.jpg
me and gammy.jpg
me final.jpg
bumslide.jpg
track.jpg
fir.jpg
sunset.jpg
present.jpg

PS Thanks Willie for my present- very much appreciated XXX
Attachments
dawn.jpg
Jand G.jpg
j bothy.jpg
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Getting A Semi In The Grey Corries

Postby Alan S » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Well done polly fab pics, except the moobs one :sick: I knew that I saw the sun hitting something whilst looking over from glen nevis, now I know :lol:

Well done reaching half way :D
Last edited by Alan S on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Getting A Semi In The Grey Corries

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Alan S wrote:Well done polly fab pics, except the moobs one :sick: I knew that I saw the sun hitting something whilst looking over from glen nevis, now I know :lol:

Well done reaching half way :D

Thanks Alan,

Inappropriate hill banter from start to finish, with Willie twitching every time his phoned bleeped in case it was a photo of you and James having a beer!!! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland