walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Tarmachan Ridge

The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby skye2304 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 06/12/2008

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very cold start with the road up to the visitors centre completely iced over and the car park snowed under (thank goodness for my "chelsea tractor"!). Its quite a steep access road, that doesn't get treated in winter,so be warned.
Another perfect day out, clear skies but very deep, soft snow on the south ridge up to the summit. This meant very hot work to the top.
DSC03665.JPG
Early morning sun over Ben Lawers, from the south ridge

Clear air gave superb views across to Ben Lawers and north to Ben Nevis.
After 3 years of complete wash outs in Scotland, its nice to be getting some good conditions. (I do most of my Munros in the winter now).

Easy going across the ridge to Meall Garbh. Snow was soft (no ice), so very easy, short scramble up to summit - nothing to worry about.
Ridge across from Meall Garbh is narrow but the drops are not in the least steep. I was surprised by the rock step at the end of the ridge. This was snowed up and did cause concern for a couple of party members. A length of rope and a sling definitely came in handy.
Once down from the rock step, I looked back and could see that we could have cut right down the ridge slope and bypassed the step... ah well, hindsight is a good thing.
DSC03712.JPG
Looking back to the rock step. Note the bypass slope on the left

A very pleasant stroll back along the track to the car, no knee-jarring descents. The views south, over Loch Tay providing constant distraction.
DSC03725.JPG
Sunset already? On the way down Coire Fionn Lairige

All-in-all a marvellous walk without problems (if you are forewarned about an "icey" rock step) and certainly not too strenuous. Save it for a clear day,the views are endless.
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Munros:90   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:169   

Re: The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:21 pm

stunning!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Awesome pictures, that sunset one is amazing. I remember nearly 'stacking' my car in the ditch last winter when trying to drive up that road to the visitor centre in icy conditions.
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:03 am

LOL - should have read my Tarmachan report first - we took the easy "coward's" route - much easier! Wouldn't fancy the rocky scramble in snow and ice!
mountain coward

Postby skye2304 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Yup, read some further info on web too and found I wasn't the only one that has had to resort to a safety rope on that bit. Well, I'm a signed up member of WH's website now!
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Postby skye2304 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Actually... I've just read your report.... well said.
I do like a bit of honesty about a route. Especially when its the true I am after and not just a Rambo-esque summary. I dont feel so bad now, we felt a bit of a failure struggling with that bit of the route...each to their own though. I must re-visit in the summer now....
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland