walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Piping up Ben Vane

Piping up Ben Vane

Postby munrobagpiper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 10/05/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well....today was to be my 20th Munro this year, and apart from my first one, Ben Lomond, it was to be my first with someone accompanying me! My girlfriends brother in law decided to come and join me on the "smallest" Munro, as he figured it would be an easy introduction to the hills. Having been up Ben Vorlich, I knew Vane was no walk in the park, but I was excited to have someone to talk to!

IMG_2346 - Copy.JPG
Ben Lomond

The forecast was for showers and cloud, so I dressed appropriately, however, this never happened, and the sun was beating down on us all afternoon!

The ascent was fairly direct, and unrelenting as we gained height very quickly. As we got higher and higher, we kept seeing "summits", but as the reports said, that there were a lot of false summits. We had to do a bit of scrambling too, which I enjoy!

The top was a lovely large plateau, with what seemed like a mini loch at the top, with stunning views down loch lomond and over to Ben Lomond.

IMG_2348.JPG
Loch at top

I got some great pictures piping, having someone taking the pictures makes such a difference!

IMG_2357.JPG
Piping at the top

We chilled at the top, and reluctantly left due to me needing to get back to Glasgow to play football.

Near the bottom, we discovered the path we should have followed, which would have avoided bogs at the start.

Brillant day out, and another ticked off the list :-)

Facebook - munrobagpiper Twitter @munrobagpiper

IMG_2368.JPG
Views

IMG_2375.JPG
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Re: Piping up Ben Vane

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Gle mhath a bhalaich ..... I enjoy your posts is you intended to pipe on all the munros ? ... is that a first if you do ? :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby munrobagpiper » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Gle mhath a bhalaich ..... I enjoy your posts is you intended to pipe on all the munros ? ... is that a first if you do ? :clap:

I am just enjoying climbing and playing. I would like to do them all eventually, but only if I am still enjoying it, which I know I will. I am trying to gain a following so I can start fund raising for charity, so that is motivation. Any help spreading my facebook page is appreciated. I know there is a guy who has played on quite a lot of the summits, including the InPin, but not sure if ALL have been done.
munrobagpiper
Mountain Walker

Munros:136   Corbetts:3

Postby GillC » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:05 am

Well done piper. Must say,,i've done Ben Vane twice, and its MUCH easier when coming over from Ben Dubh, you miss the constant up up and up. lol Will check out your fb page too, well done :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland