walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch circuit - snow, sun and inversions

Mullardoch circuit - snow, sun and inversions

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Route description: Càrn Eige and Mam Sodhail

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Affric), An Socach (Mullardoch), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Màm Sodhail, Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr na Lapaich, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan, Toll Creagach, Tom a' Chòinich

Date walked: 07/06/2013

Distance: 59 km

Ascent: 4950m

27 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Friday 7 - Sunday 9 June 2013
Distance: 59km
Ascent: 4,950m
Attendees: me

Tentative plans for Loch Mullardoch in May had been shelved due to the weather and not wishing to carry winter gear as well as a camping pack. Hadn’t originally planned to go anywhere this weekend due to imminent commitments but the forecast was looking just too good to be true. Last minute change of plan, booked Friday as a holiday and set off early that morning up the A82 to Drumnadrochit, then Cannich and along the single track to the Mullardoch dam. Parked in the grassy area just north of the dam – just a few cars and a tent already there. Spoke to one guy who was dropping off his friends – he couldn’t walk that day due to an injury.

Weather was a bit grey when I set off initially but it then cleared up quickly. Walked along the track trying to decide whether to stick to the track which runs N then NW beside the Allt or go NW over Mullach na Maoile. Opted for the latter – found it fairly steep going or maybe more that I was out of shape. I suspect it may be slightly shorter but the lack of a track may even things up.

Kept on up the hillside over MnM and could see the first munro of the day, Carn nan Gobhar.

It was at this point that I looked over towards Sgurr na Lapaich and started to get a bit worried. I could see a fair bit of cornicing on the corrie edges and started to wonder whether I’d be able to get up through it. Would’ve been a short day if I’d had to call a halt at this stage !

Straightforward walk up to the summit of Carn nan Gobhar.

Looking at the map and Sgurr na Lapaich in the distance, it looked as though the approach was up a ridge which didn’t go through a cornice. Granted there was some snow but it looked doable.

Headed off down to the bealach where it was easier to see the route. Did meet some snow nearer the top but it was soft and not steep – combined with some rocky sections it was a little tricky but not serious.

Go to the top of Sgurr na Lapaich.

Then had the long walk down and round the edge of the cliffs over Coire Gnada before starting up to An Riabhachan. More ascent/descent/ascent before getting to the summit and #3 for the day.

Then the descent down to the bealach before climbing up to An Socach.

I was now starting to consider where to stop for the night. I was thinking that if I made it down to the end of the loch by 1800hrs I could then try to get up over Mullach nan Dheiragain that night and camp high – problem would be water sources. Alternatively I could just stop at the end of the loch. The long seemingly endless descent from An Socach sealed it for me – although I got down to the loch just on time I decided to have a leisurely meal and get up early the following day – it would definitely now be two nights rather than one.

Got down to the Allt but couldn’t find a suitable crossing point. Wandered up and down a bit before changing into my flip-flops and crossing just at the point where Allt Cam flows down from up near Mullach Sithidh – there were some building remains on the south side of the main stream.

Set up the tent not far from the ruin, had a leisurely meal and got to bed sharpish.

Woke at 0330hrs, had a look outside, saw low clag and mist so went back to sleep hoping it would clear. It didn’t. Had that sinking feeling of a day in the clag again. Eventually got up, breakfasted decamped and set off up the hillside to the west of the Allt – not long before I was into the clag so nothing for it but to keep going.

On the approach up towards Mullach Sithidh though I came up out of the clag. Depression turned to euphoria – inversion all round and blue skies. Looked like it would be a good day after all.

Turned westwards before going south up to Mullach nan Dheiragain. Could see Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan away in the distance and the full extent of the ridge from it all the way over to Mam Sodhail – was wondering what I’d got myself into !

Long walk and more ups and downs on the way to Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan. Could see more snow over to the west of it but my approach looked clear. Met another walker on his descent just before I got to the top.

From here it was a case of following the ridge

A pair of ptarmigan

Nice walk along to An Socach

I was carrying 2l of water but wasn’t sure where I’d be able to pick up further supplies – had been using it up faster than normal due to the heat and carrying the large pack. The bealach to the NE of An Socach was a possible - I managed to find a wee burn appearing out of the hillside just to the south of the bealach. After filling up I headed back up to the bealach and met two walkers who were up for Mam Sodhail.

From the bealach I followed the track which rises gradually up the hillside and made the going somewhat easier. Higher up had to climb more steeply before finally getting up to the summit of Mam Sodhail.

The weather was still great but I could see rain in the distance to the south. Fortunately the wind was taking it away and it didn’t look like I was going to get wet.

Building remains on the lower slopes.

It has a large cairn at the summit – climbed up the side and had look into the top.

Initial descent then started up towards Carn Eighe before branching off northwards to skirt round its lower slopes. Spoke to more walkers who were heading back towards Loch Affric. Found another wee burn as it appeared out of the hillside so stopped to top up my water supplies – decided to make my dinner at this point as well. As I planned to camp on the bealach to the east of Carn Eighe and there didn’t look to be any more water sources, I also filled up my 2l collapsible bottle. Having my dinner beside the burn meant less water to carry – although I was still carrying 2l using and 2l for camp.

Skirted round Carn Eighe, hid the large pack and walked north to Beinn Fhionnlaidh. Spoke with some people who were camping just below it on the bealach and had carried up water.

Didn’t take long to get to the top without the rucksack.

This wee fellow popped his head up to have a look before scurrying off over the summit.

Walked back to pick up the rucksack and headed up to Carn Eighe. Met two other walkers who were also camping down on the bealach to the east.

Although some clouds had come and gone it had stayed dry – rain the distance but none here. Down to the bealach and on a little to get a bit higher than the other tents (some others were already there when I arrived). Nice soft mossy surface.

Set up the tent and watched the sunset. Some mist also appeared between Mam Sodhail and Carn Eighe.

Up early the following day – inversion all round even more impressive than the previous day. Managed to catch a little of the sunrise as well.

Breakfast with a view

Tent was covered in condensation and some frost/ice – must’ve been cold through the night. Packed up and headed off eastwards.

Some rocky sections round the top of the corrie – trickier sections had a path below them. Little ascent today, just a long walk back to the car.

Self portrait

Tom a' Choinich came up first.

Then the long walk to Toll Creagach where I met a walker who was on his first of the day, was going clockwise and hoping to cover the round in two days.

Sat for a while just looking at the views and the inversion. It had been a hard 2.5 days but the weather couldn’t really have been better – no rain at all.

Eventually headed off downwards. Interesting gate.

Heading somewhere down here

Then through the seemingly endless long heather and down into the clag which did subsequently clear when I got lower down.

Round a deer fence and got to the dam.

Went down the wee path just below the dam and eventually managed to come out at the north side – not sure if it was much of a short cut as I ended up going through some thick heather and trees but probably because I didn’t take the right path when I first crossed below the dam and got into the trees.

Back to the car around midday, got changed, took one last look and headed off for Glasgow.

One last photo looking back.

My first two night camp, hard going but enjoyable. Apologies for the number of photos – this is after sifting out several hundred others.

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Mullardoch circuit - snow, sun and inversions

Postby Meatball » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Superb!
This may be copied in the future!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pigeon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Another Rockhopper whopper,great pics also :thumbup: Would love to do something like this but may be lacking the fitness levels,you made it sound easy peasy :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Jeezo a bhalaich that was a superb read and photos , top marks and hitting the weather just right . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I ll be following you .. gu dearbh :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby simon-b » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 pm

A superb way to spend a long weekend, rockhopper. It looks like a great range of hills, especially when you get views like that.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Wow, nothing like a wee stroll & that was nothing like a wee stroll :lol:
Great narrative & some magical photo's, you couldn't have picked a better weekend weather wise :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

So pleased you managed to get this round done RH.

Think I will need to pick this lot of in one"s or two"s.

Some stunning inversion pictures.

Getting close to the end now also..
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby hutchy1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:46 pm

A great report with stunning photos
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:20
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Super walk :clap:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Oh well done so glad you were able to grab the good weather and go for it - and what a weekend!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Oh its great to hear that you managed to get out to do this one :)

Loved all the photos. I remeber thinking all the same things as you.. The long descent from Mullardoch 4 is tortuous, and the view when you reach the Affric ridge is soul destoying! Well done indeed :D

The big cairn at Mam Sodhail was the site of the very first Trig point, and the ruins below were where the surveyors stayed ;)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 pm

You don't do things by half, do you :crazy: What a walk! Would love to try that at some point in the future but maybe need my bionic limbs upgraded first!
Great pictures too - cheers
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Stretch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 am

Holy smokes. Freakin awesome report, RH!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Helen Bruce » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks Rockhopper, a really great trip report. Glad you had such great weather and the snow wasn't an issue. Love the photos, especially the inversions.
Helen Bruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:160   Corbetts:81
Fionas:10   Donalds:20
Islands:46

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 am

An absolutely fantastic effort rockhopper and I'm delighted you got such good weather. Well done :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

27 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland