walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart Corbetts

Knoydart Corbetts

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Aden, Sgùrr a' Choire-bheithe

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 16 hours

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 1600m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Knoydart.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'm not really a great backpacking fan, but these two are a bit much for one day, and I didn't fancy doing the walk-in twice, so time to get the tent out of the back of the cupboard! We had been waiting for weeks for a good forecast, and at last it came!

We arrived at the parking spot just as the early morning cloud was breaking into glorious sunshine. The first mile did not bode well: rough ground and heavy packs are a miserable combination. :(
There's a short section of old road as you round the point and start heading westwards, and then a narrow but OK path as far as the potentially tricky crossing of the Abhainn Cosaidh, which was a mere trickle. Soon after this thew old road appears again. (The start is easy to miss. We missed it.) Eventually after quite a few wee ups and downs the dam at the head of the loch is reached, where you can cut the corner past a lochan to pick up the path over a wee rise and down to Lochan nam Bhreac.
What an amazing spot! Hemmed in by steep slopes with a lovely sandy beach and good tent pitches at the near end.

We pitched up, and then set off (with light sacks, hooray!) for Sgurr a'Choire-bheithe. The path is quite good but there are several ups and downs at first before the main climb to Mam Unndalain begins. Above the col the hill is well defenced by bands of crags with no obvious way through. This could be really tricky in poor visibility, I think! We weaved a devious route through the crags to emerge at a little col on the ridge, from where it was an easy 10 minutes to the top, and fantastic views, especially out to the west.

We sat and enjoyed the sun for a bit, and then headed back down the same way: I had though about going east along the ridge, but the direct descent to Lochan nam Bhreac looks pretty brutal!

Back at the tent, it was boots off and in for a paddle: bliss! Sitting around eating dinner here was just perfect. Finally at about 8.30pm the first midges came out, so we went into the tent and straight off to sleep.

We were awake quite early, so we decided to take our breakfast up the hill. The low cloud had formed again overnight, but it proved not to be very thick. As we reached about 550m on the NE ridge of Ben Aden, we popped out of the top and into glorious sunshine. The ridge is a grand one, with lots of rocky outcrops and a bit of easy scrambling. By 8am we were eating breakfast on the summit, enjoying the stunning views over the layer of cloud in the inversion. Last time I was here I was aged 15, on a school trip and, unknown to us as we had no radio, the Falklands were being invaded....

Reluctantly we headed back down, taking a line down Coire na Chruaiche and back into the mist.

After a cup of tea back at the tent, we packed up and headed out. Not much to say about the walk out except that it was hot, sweaty, tiring and seeming endless! We were both very very glad to see the end of it.....

Maybe the tent won't stay in the cupboard so long this time!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Knoydart Corbetts

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 am

Wow if that does not wet the appetite nothing will! Beautiful pictures and what weather, superb stuff, not done these, must go soon! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fudgie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:50 am

I'm just a bit jealous of the inversion pictures you took. Excellent work 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:58 am

Tricky hills to get to, we climbed the easy Knoydard Corbett, Sgurr nan Eugallt, earlier this year and sitting on the summit we wondered which route would be the best to tackle these two.

Superb photos of cloud inversion :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Wow! Wish my school had done trips to Ben Aden. The wildest we ever managed was Carding Mill Valley, below the Long Mynd.

Hamish Brown lists a wild camp by Lochan nan Breac as one of the 6 (if I remember correctly) greatest experiences in the Highlands, along with such delights as doing the Aonach Eagach by moonlight. I had a go for it when in Knoydart, but the weather turned decisively for the worst and we bailed out. It's still on my wishlist.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for saying nice things about the photos everyone!

BlackPanther wrote:Tricky hills to get to, we climbed the easy Knoydard Corbett, Sgurr nan Eugallt, earlier this year and sitting on the summit we wondered which route would be the best to tackle these two.

This was the best route I could come up with, to do both in the same trip. You could do them from Sourlies, but there are also river crossing problems, and that's an even tougher walk-in via Glen Dessary. Hiring a boat from Inverie to Camusrory would be fun if you could find enough folk to share the costs!

Phil the Hill wrote:Wish my school had done trips to Ben Aden.

Yes, we were very lucky in having some keen teachers. It was all done under the banner of Combined Cadet Force Adventurous Training, but in reality there was no military content to the trip other than eating army rations. Somehow we got to stay a few nights at the estate cottage at Camusrory.

Phil the Hill wrote:Hamish Brown lists a wild camp by Lochan nan Breac as one of the 6 (if I remember correctly) greatest experiences in the Highlands, along with such delights as doing the Aonach Eagach by moonlight.

I didn't know that: I can see why, but only if you go out of midge season, otherwise it might be one of the 6 worst!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:23 pm

looked like a amazingtrip - was up in the area the week before and would have loved an inversion like that - awesome :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby Meatball » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Superb!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Super , Sgionneil :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby ketzster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Amazing photos. I did these two recently in the same day as Sgurr nan Ciche and Garbh Chioch Mor from Sourlies and it was one of the best days I've ever had. The views from Sgurr a' Choire-Bheithe are breathtaking and your photos certainly do it justice! You could sit on the top of that hill in good weather for ages and ages
ketzster

Munros:279   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland