walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Luib and Torrin straths circuit

How did you rate this walk?

1 - Uninspiring
No votes
2 - Pleasant enough
33%
3 - A good walk
67%
4 - Excellent outing
No votes
5 - A total classic
No votes

Total votes : 3

Luib and Torrin straths circuit

Postby martyn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Date walked: 21/09/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Luib and Torrin Straths circuit

I did this walk - clockwise - from Torrin in February this year on a day when the weather was on the threatening side of uncertain. As it turned out, the weather improved as the day progressed and the walk up An Slugan from Strollamus and back down to Torrin was bathed in a misty late afternoon sun, with a hazy view across to Blaven and down Loch Slapin towards Strathaird. In the calm conditions, the morning's thick mist slowly resolved itself into two separate layers of cloud skirting the hillsides......interesting to weather geeks like me.
In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty gentle stroll - but a fearsome bog-trot in Strath Mor and across the bealach back from Strollamus when I did it. I reckon trying to avoid the worst of the boggy conditions added a few kilometres to the walk.
I suggest a tiny variant to the route as described - on my way up the strath towards Luib, I switched from the east to the west side of the valley between the two lochans (as per the path marked on the OS maps) and, with a bit of careful route selection, didn't have to do any wading at all.
Most memorable of the day was the peace and solitude - what started as a grey weekday morning in February meant the place was not heaving with humanity. A pair of inquistive and territorial swans and some waders on Loch na Sguabaidh and more red deer than I could count on the slopes above (especially by the bealach between Beinn na Cro and Beinn Dearg Mhor) but I didn't see, let alone encounter, another soul from leaving the road at the head of Loch Slapin to when I dropped back into Torrin - both Luib and Strollamus seemed deserted.
A gentle, 'spiritual' day out.
martyn
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland