walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzzzzzzzzzie

Ben Chonzzzzzzzzzie

Postby naepace » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 13/06/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well what else would you expect from a Munro often described as boring, dull, bland, mundane, insipid, tedious........?

.....Quite a lot actually. Although Chonzie itself is nothing special the views it offered meant I thoroughly enjoyed my quick jaunt up and down.....and the 40 winks in the summit sunshine :D
I arrived at the small car park around 10am and was the only car there. The WH route description is spot on and you really can't go wrong. As you head up the Land Rover track it is true there is little to look at in front of you, however, once you've gained a bit of height a look behind you yields great views over the glen and to the Munros in the West.

First look at Ben Chonzie's flank

Over Glen Lednock to the West

As described about two thirds of the way up you leave the Land Rover track marked by a small cairn. I thought the path was quite distinct and not really boggy at all. From there it is a straight pull up the hill until you come to the rusty old fence posts which you can follow all the way to the summit. As you follow the posts you get great views of the Lawers Range and Schiehallion to the North. Although it was still blue skies and sunshine above me it was getting really windy & I was sincerely hoping that the summit shelter cairn I had read about would live up to its name. It did :D A little less than 2 hours after leaving the car park I settled down out of the wind and had some lunch with excellent views out over Loch Turret and Auchnafree hill.....And yes I may have had the tiniest wee nap :lol:

Loch Turret

NW to Ben Lawers from the summit

Lawers without the zoom

N to Schiehallion from the summit

After 45 mins or so I started my descent, the wind was certainly increasing as the blue skies turned grey. It was looking like I had caught the best of the weather. The Land Rover path is extremely rocky in places which didn't result in the best conditions underfoot for a quick return to the car with my ankles intact. However, I made it back in less than 90mins. This was only my third Munro and my first solo effort and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Don't listen to the bad press, it's a nice & easy Munro with some excellent views.........and for those of you who have read my other reports.....yes, of course you can see the Lomonds :shock:

My stalkers !
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Ben Chonzzzzzzzzzie

Postby haringit » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 pm

I did Chonzie over 10 years ago in october time. An overcast and bleak day but as I approached the top i'd to pass through a mass gathering of mountain hares. Must've been upto a few hundred anyway, all nonchalantly crossing in front of me like I wasn't there. It was like they were tranced or something. Got to be one of my top two most sureal hillwalking moments ever! Chonzie gets some bad press! :roll:
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby naepace » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Never saw a hare all day ! They're the only positive thing I've heard said about the hill, if they are gone now......
naepace
Munro compleatist

Postby gmr82 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi naepace

Hope you enjoyed the snooze! My first munro, though it looked a little more bleak back in Nov. Don't think you can argue with the views from your photos - what a difference the sun makes! Only saw one hare, just before returning to the main track on the descent. First time in winter colours though so I was happy
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby craighall » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 pm

I think, like yourself, Ben Chonzzzzzie doesn't often get a fair call, to which your great photos adequately testify.

I have a theory that this has a lot to do with snobbery, in that it is relatively close to major centres of population, and people like to boast about having been to relatively far away photos.

Thanks again for a great report & photographic record !

Michael.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby naepace » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

Cheers Michael. I wish more Munros were closer ! I don't really have the time to spend 4/5 hours getting to start points. Those furthest away will need to wait until the kids are up and away.
naepace
Munro compleatist

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 am

I enjoyed this hill when I did it about 18 months ago and I certainly didn't find it boring. That might have been to do with the wild weather I experienced on the top and the (sometimes thigh) deep snow I was walking through 8)

Saw quite a few hares though :wink:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland