walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Dubh too much!

Sgurr Dubh too much!

Postby haringit » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Date walked: 09/06/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1174m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back at the Memorial Hut after a nights camping, 5.00am and i'm freezing, (6 degrees C on the car therm,) i'm tired and hungry. Dry bread and corned beef sarnies were the order of the day, oh, and Jaffa Cakes! (BOGOF :clap: :D .) Took half an hour to eat and prepare my packed lunch before setting off into the clear morning. Made my way along to the path up from the campsite, bees buzzing in the flowering sycamores lining the initial route. A lovely morning!
Started my ascent upon reaching the path.
A bit tired from yesterdays walk up Sgurr Alasdair, so I wasn't expecting any gold medals today.
A pair of black throated divers on a lochan as I passed, my second sighting ever of these birds.
I thought i'd be the sole person around this time of the morning but I bumped into a nice chap meandering about trying to photograph deer. He spurred me to take a few of photos for myself en route.

DSCF3996 (640x480).jpg
Drinker moth caterpiller.

DSCF3998 (640x480).jpg
Common spotted orchid.

DSCF4002 (640x480).jpg
Common milkweed.

DSCF3997 (640x480).jpg
Jura

Another pair of black throated divers on a lochan further on. These two noisier than the last, quite a ruccus for such a demure looking bird.
Fringed the buttress of Sron na Ciche and ascended in earnest toward Coir' a' Ghunnda, first sun of the morning greeting me face on. So nice after my cold start. It didn't last long. A little scramble into the shaded corrie then headed around the lochans north shore, aiming for the col between Caisteal a' Garbh-choire and Sgurr Dubh na Da Bhienn
DSCF4006 (640x480).jpg
At the head of the col.
to pick up on the route from Sgurr na Eag once on the other side.
DSCF4003 (640x480).jpg
Coir' a' Ghunnda

DSCF4004 (640x480).jpg
Some of the nastiest, crazy looking rocks in the world.

Once there the crag on the left had to be circumnavigated so had to drop down a sketchy scree path, crossing over large boulders and onto another scree path as soon as was possible for an ascent onto Sgurr Dubh na Da Bhienn west ridge.
Was feeling a tad daunted by this stage. Pretty much in the guts of the Cuillin and surrounded by a jumble of towering rocks. It didn't help sliding on scree and catching my shin on a intruding rock. I did think about returning but there was no pain despite blood forming a lump at one end of the graze.
Ascended the scree onto SDnaDB's ridge and had a breather on the little shoulder at its head. Bands of scrambling involved up SDnaDB seperated by well trodden platforms near the top. Tried going left before the summit to reach the ridge leading to Sgurr Dubh Mor but couldn't, then I tried right, still no can do. Only one option available - over the very top! Spirits lifted when I saw the connecting ridge stretch before me.
DSCF4007 (640x480).jpg
Sgurr Alasdair from SDnaDB.

DSCF4009 (640x480).jpg
Sgurr na Eag.

DSCF4010 (640x480).jpg
Sgurr Dubh Mor

A short scramble down and onto a path on the right hand side of the apex which I mistakenly stuck to. More route finding and scrambling to get back up onto the end of the ridge and past a couple of huge boulders for SDM's climb. Found a grassy ledge with path so walked it 'till it ended and climbed up, the rest was a bit of a blurr except for one point where I found myself having to snake under a protruding, rounded rock while trying not to catch my rucksack. Before I knew it my head had popped over the edge and onto the summit.
DSCF4011 (480x640).jpg
Summit!

:lol:
Walked to the other top too!
Had to find my way back now. The only problem I encountered was having to cross the protruding, rounded rock again. A different tactic had to be executed this time. Both hands on the opposite side, pull and bend my body around it.
Right hand side of the ridge for the return, much easier to avoid the huge boulders. Droped down screes, ascended again then crossed the apex for the left side path.
Enjoyed a well earned break back in Coir' a' Ghrunnda for some not so mouth watering cornedbeef sandwiches. Yum! :lol:

DSCF4013 (640x480).jpg

DSCF4014 (640x480).jpg
Glen Garry on the drive back.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

haringit
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland