walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wee wander up Black Hill

A wee wander up Black Hill

Postby budvarone » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:35 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Hill (Borders)

Date walked: 14/06/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 314m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSC_0832.JPG
Black Hill from the B6356
I've seen this wee hill LOADS of times from the A68, and wondered what it would be like at the top, so after reading a couple of WH reports on it, I decided today, as my wife was having lunch with her friend and I wasn't invited (again) and I had a couple of hours to kill before picking her up, that it would be an ideal opportunity to eventually tick this one off!
It's only about 2 and a half miles up and back down, it took me just under 2 hrs, but I'd taken my binoculars and I stopped every now and then to check on the birdlife ( a lot of Meadow Pipits and Linnets, if you're interested!) a pleasant walk on a good path/track with excellent views of the surrounding Borders countryside from the top, I could see across to Hume Castle near Kelso, over to the Cheviots, Rubers Law, and of course, The Eildons (there can't be many places in The Borders you CAN'T see The Eildons from!) well worth the short walk!
DSC_0833.JPG
Th path #1
DSC_0855.JPG
Going right
DSC_0836.JPG
The path #2, with Black Hill straight ahead!
DSC_0841-1.jpg
Up here, and then to the right!
DSC_0847.JPG
The trig point and The Eildons.
DSC_0848.JPG
Looking down on Earlston.
DSC_0850.JPG
A (not very ancient) stone circle at the top!
DSC_0851.JPG
The OS map says there's a fort at the top, somehow don't think this is it tho!
DSC_0853.JPG
The panoramic view.
budvarone
Bird-watcher

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: A wee wander up Black Hill

Postby gmr82 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:22 am

Nice report, it looks a lovely hill from the photos. Still have this jotted down for the next time I'm down the A68, so hopefully later this summer I'll get round to it
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Grahams:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland