walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hangover cure by Sgurr. Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Hangover cure by Sgurr. Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby haringit » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Date walked: 30/12/2007

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Both these hills were still classed as Munros when I climbed them over six years ago, Sgurr nan Ceannaichean now demoted to a Corbett. But kept a diary of each walk from the start, recounting the trips was like adding another layer to the cake, :-D
Had 2 weeks off work over the festive season and had been celebrating 'The Freedom' with a drink or two...! With the New Year approaching fast I thought it best to have a change and get my walking boots on. Chose an easy-ish walk for reasons already mentioned and kept my eye on the weather forecast. It came up trumps on Hogmany's eve.
Parked in the layby at Loch Sgamhain in Glen Carron and set off, a frost etched, clear morning. A short walk down the path to the wooden footbridge over the River Carron, across the railway and on for the rough, primary slopes of Moruisg.
The slight frost did little to lock up much wetness and had lulled me into a false sense of security, twice plunging my right foot into bog. I aimed for the clear slopes between slight outcroped areas.
It was heavy going, the Christmas drinks putting a damper on procedings.
Now for the steep section! :shock:
A peppering of recent snow appeared around the 500m mark but looked like frost rather than anything solid. Over the brow of the steep section older snow increased and was glad of the shallower gradient. A thin layer of wind blown, wet snow had frozen mainly as ice on the summit ridge. The uneven, stoney surface giving enough purchase for an easy ascent. Passed the first cairn and then onto the summit.
By now i'd a clear view of the surrounding peaks. The great bulk of Maoile Lunndaidh surprised me, steep grassy slopes and ridges with a flattish plateau. The plateau shrouded by a thin veil of hugging mist. Shaped more like a hill than a 1000m plus mountain. Stunning views north to the Torridon peaks. Liathach and Beinn Eighe snow capped and looking remarkably like carniverous lower teeth, and the three ascending humps of Bienn Liath Mor being more akin to breaking the surface of Loch Ness.
IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4552.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4559.JPG

An easy walk down to the connecting col.
Stopped here for a bite to eat. Didn't stop long, cold wind biting back.
A slow pace up Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, deeper snow gathered here. Lumbered onto its north ridge haunch and upto the steep cone. A few frozen prints giving an easier ascent.
IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

Decended off the cone back onto the north ridge and down into Glen Carron. Found a footpath at the bottom running parallel with the Alltan nan Feola, which i'd to cross. Ice encrusted stones made it a somewhat difficult job. Had to break the layer of ice over a submerged boulder for a slip free leap to the opposite bank.
The opposite bank's path leads down and beyond a deer fence gate into a newly planted Scots Pine plantation. Couldn't help thinking that scattering seed would've been a better method to establish them. The sickly pines struggling due to root disturbance, (they don't like disturbance.) While the naturally growing birch that lined the burn were romping away. I hope it's to re-establish a new, permenant woodland. :)
our_route.gpx
haringit
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland