walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wet wet wet, Meall Ghaordaidh on a Saturday morning

Wet wet wet, Meall Ghaordaidh on a Saturday morning

Postby tullius0618 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 15/06/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 895m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, apparently the views from the top of this marshy, peaty lump are worth the climb.

Sadly, an early start on Saturday couldn't get me on the hill early enough to find out. With a faint series of paths up the shoulder meaning I was off track from almost the start of the ascent - the suggested cairn to indicate where the climbers' path diverges from the farmer's track was overgrown and easily missed - by the time I hit the cloud base at around 600m I was already contouring around the ridge in an attempt to find the path that I was convinced I must have overshot.

Indeed I had overshot it, but to be honest it didn't make much difference. The hillside was so boggy that the track regularly disappeared and was waterlogged almost all the way to the summit when it could be found.

Working on bearings I deviated slightly to the north of the true ridge and had to scramble up between some of the rocky faces, but these were fairly simple. As the wind picked up and rain began falling out came the waterproofs and the mantra "tea at the top" started working through my brain.

By the time I hit the summit the wind was bringing the rain down at 45 degrees, and the welcome sight of what is, to be fair, one of the better constructed summit shelters gave me chance to take my only two pictures of the day.

The return descent was fast due to the profile of the ridge, although again the sheer thickness of the clag and faintness of the path meant I deviated slightly, but not enough to cause serious problems.

Soaked through but satisfied I hit the road, glad that I over think my preparation and always have a dry set of clothes waiting at the car!
Attachments
P1070459.JPG
Nasty grey wet stuff everywhere!
tullius0618
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland