walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond and the Ptarmigan ridge

Ben Lomond and the Ptarmigan ridge

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 24/05/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1000m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last day of our holiday arrived and we travelled down towards Loch Lomond, we wanted to rekindle some memories of our damp squelch of a West Highland Way walk a couple of years ago. We had booked into the OakTree Inn at Ballmaha for the evening, the landlord had welcomed us with a roaring fire and hot soup during our WHW walk it was most welcome and allowed everyone to dry out a little before braving the tempest that was blowing over Loch Lomond.
Not so today though the sun was shining and the birds were singing and Carol was looking forward to a hike up Ben Lomond. If I am honest the hill had never been on my list of priorities, however I was going up today, like it or lump it!
I cannot possibly write down here anything that all you experienced walkers and mounaineers have not put to paper in the past and maybe that was why I was not so apprehensive of walking the mountain.
As I have stated the weather was perfect with wonderful views back towards the Loch. The panorama at the top was also very good with perfect views of the Arrochar Alps and of course Loch Lomond and its Islets. Not surprisingly there were plenty of people at the top wearing just jeans ect and no visible sign of water or refreshments, no different here to the popular hills south of the border. People will never learn.

Most were just going up the tourist path and reversing the route on the way back, we therefore decided to return by the Partamigan Hill and if I am allowed to say was an absolute delight. A little care is required initially from the top but nothing to difficult and no exposure. The undulating ridge is delightful and the view towards Loch Lomond is magnificent. After the couple of disappointments with the weather recently, this turned out to be a wonderful walk and must admit Carol certainly got this one right, and finished off with a pint at the Rowardenan Hotel….Magnifico!
P1020433.JPG
Tourist Path from near the top
P1020434.JPG
Summit Gathering
P1020435.JPG
P1020436.JPG
P1020437.JPG
P1020438.JPG
P1020439.JPG
P1020440.JPG
Ben Vorlich and Loch Sloy
P1020441.JPG
P1020442.JPG
P1020443.JPG
P1020446.JPG
P1020451.JPG
Ants?
P1020454.JPG
A delightful walk back
P1020455.JPG
Blue Bells
P1020456.JPG
Bonnie Banks
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Lomond and the Ptarmigan ridge

Postby DaveB1 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:37 pm

I must have driven past this hill hundreds of times (well a lot!) and never climbed it. Your report was great and its on my 'to do soon' list! Many thanks Dave :D
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby GillC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Lovely lovely, Been up Ben Lomond 3 times now,,the last by the Ptarmigan ridge route (reverse of your route) It is by far, so much better than the tourist path. Well done and what smashing pics too, :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Certainly looks a lot better than when we climbed Ben Lomond Geoff. Certainly do it this way if we ever return :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Glad you've got round to writing up this one at last, Geoff :lol:
Great end to your holiday and well done Carol for choosing this walk :D
Some fantastic views all round :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:36 pm

DaveB1 wrote:I must have driven past this hill hundreds of times (well a lot!) and never climbed it. Your report was great and its on my 'to do soon' list! Many thanks Dave :D

Chers Dave, one to do now you have cleared the 214 :clap:

GillC wrote:Lovely lovely, Been up Ben Lomond 3 times now,,the last by the Ptarmigan ridge route (reverse of your route) It is by far, so much better than the tourist path. Well done and what smashing pics too, :clap:

It was a smashing walk and a smashing day thanks Gill

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Certainly looks a lot better than when we climbed Ben Lomond Geoff. Certainly do it this way if we ever return :thumbup:

Thanks Anthony

SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad you've got round to writing up this one at last, Geoff :lol:
Great end to your holiday and well done Carol for choosing this walk :D
Some fantastic views all round :thumbup:

Cheers Susie, I guess Carol can be right sometimes :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland