walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cobbling together a walk from Glen Croe

Cobbling together a walk from Glen Croe

Postby Driftwood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean, The Cobbler

Date walked: 02/06/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1270m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a pretty brief account of the walk - and, like the route map, approximate rather than exact.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having visted the Cobbler and Ben Narnain last September, I'd missed out the western Arrochar hills, as well as not had much of a view from the Cobbler. With a bright early morning start, that looked the perfect spot to begin my highland walking for the year. This approach sacrifices the good path (and some scrambly options) from the east, but looked an interesting way to revisit the Cobbler and add two hills I'd missed.

Arriving at about 8 am, the skies were blue though some of the hills were still dozing under cloudy covers. I parked up in a layby about 2/3 of the way up Glen Croe, just beyond a bridge.
DSCF0310.JPG
Beinn an Lochain

Crossing a stile, there was something of a path, a little boggy lower down, but I was soon making good progress around the northwest side of the Cobbler, above a burn but tending to keep below some rougher crags.
DSCF0321.JPG
Slopes of the Cobbler

Things looked cloudier as I joined the main path (near to the bealach between the north and central tops), then reached the summit area at about 9:30.
DSCF0325.JPG
Cobbler central top

Beinn Narnain was frowning, maybe at being bypassed today, while the north top showed its finest side.
DSCF0332.JPG
North from the Cobbler

And, just to prove that I made it through the Needle and up the scramble:
DSCF0336.JPG
Cobbler top block

The bank of cloud headed past once I left the top block, enticing me onward to Beinn Ime.
DSCF0341.JPG
Beinn Ime

I was familiar with the path down the north side of the Cobbler (which steepens a little towards the bealach, but is well-made with block steps). Crossing the wider bealach to Beinn Ime, there is a trodden rather than a made path. That was boggy and quite churned-up in places, testifying to the hill's popularity. More folk were appearing, in both directions, but I had the summit to myself on arriving. There were a couple of tiny red flags (I'd noticed one or two on the way up), though I've no idea why.
DSCF0347.JPG
Beinn Ime

After taking in the views and re-fuelling, I followed the path to descend 100 metres or so, then headed southwest and around to Beinn Luibhean. This is a bit of an add-on among the Arrochar hills, but can offer good views including one of Beinn Ime's rougher sides:
DSCF0358.JPG
Beinn Ime from the west

I also admired Beinn an Lochain and earmarked it for a later visit.
DSCF0368.JPG
Beinn an Lochain

I descended south by southeast, avoiding some craggier slopes (on the OS map), reaching a pipe intake on one of the burns flowing down the hill. There's a sort of track, maybe as much the work of sheep as boots, that keeps on the north side of that burn as it descends. After a short stretch of young birch (and a few bluebells), I passed a little piece of pasture to reach a footbridge and cross the burn. Re-crossing it by the road bridge returned me to the car-park at roughly 1pm.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:200   Corbetts:40
Grahams:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:19   

Re: Cobbling together a walk from Glen Croe

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Good little circuit :) . I was looking at something similar if I end up in this area with the car (I haven't been through the needle on the Cobbler yet :shifty: ).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:252   Hewitts:256
Wainwrights:102   Islands:33

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland