walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spittal of Glenshee 4

Spittal of Glenshee 4

Postby gman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:20 am

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 19/06/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 37.3 km

Ascent: 1657m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

spittal glenshee 19-6-2013 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

WH route from Spittal of Glenshee is for Glas Tulaichean & Carn an Righ, but a few folk had added Beinn Iutharn Mhor so went for the 3. Monty's route had a cycle up Glean Taitneach so that's the way I went.

Parked at the hotel, over the bridge and followed the land rover track through the fields. Three gates to get through, the last one is padlocked so had to lift the bike over. Got to Gleann Taitneach:

7km by bike took 55min, but only 40min on the way back as there was more downhill & I crossed the footbridge and took the tarmac road from Dalmunzie Hotel. Towards the top of the glen I ditched the bike, crossed the river and went up the side of Sron na Saobaidh then followed the ridge round to the left.

Pathless on the way up, loads of deer & hare.

Grassy ridge round to Glas Tulaichean.

Deer, hare & grouse were all running away when they saw me, but this wee guy started running around me in circles and following me around the ridge - must have been after my pieces!

Loch nan Eun at the top of Gleann Taitneach:

Near the top of Glas Tulaichean.

Trig point & Beinn a'Ghlo.

Then down the grassy hill down to Carn an Righ. Clear path cut in the hill opposite so made for that. Boggy & peat hags further down.

Rocky and scree patches near the top of Carn an Righ, cairn:

Next, Beinn Iutharn Mhor:

Glas Tulaichean:

Back down, then path goes to the left. Met a couple her who were just back from Skye, agreed that these grassy hills were a wee bit boring.

Path disappeared somewhere on the way round, then another leads to the top of Beinn Iutharn Mhor:

Cairngorms.

Cairn, Carn an Righ, Beinn a'Ghlo:

There's another cairn further round but I'm pretty sure/hopeful I'm on the summit :lol:

Back down and round another grassy hill, there's a faint path somewhere.

3 bagged & round to Loch nan Eun:

Hmm, An Socach is pretty close though.

Decision time, it would take a couple of hours to bag An Socach but that would mean missing worst of the rush hour traffic. And despite thinking how boring these hills were, I was actually enjoying the walk. Back earlier and watch TV or stay up here? :D

Pathless through heather and peat hags again on the way round, but there's a path going up the hill so headed towards that.

Met a couple at the top who had cycled in from Inverey, probably better to approach the hill from that side as there's a ridge.

Back round to Loch nan Eun:

Path leads from the loch to Gleann Taitneach.

Back to the bike, getting a bit saddle sore so went over the footbridge and made for the nice flat tarmac :D Grassy path on the way to the road is cyclable in parts, few tyre tracks in the mud anyway. Then it's a luxurious coast back to the Spittal for some ice cold refreshment :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Spittal of Glenshee 4

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 am

Oh it was really nice to see these hills without the veil of clag that has been hugging them every time I've been :? :D Thanks for sharing..

The ptarmigan you saw would of been trying to lead you away from her chicks.. They do funny dances and circles to confuse you at this time of year :wink: I love their antics.. :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby gman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:00 pm

basscadet wrote:The ptarmigan you saw would of been trying to lead you away from her chicks.. They do funny dances and circles to confuse you at this time of year :wink: I love their antics.. :)

You could be right...or it might have been my aftershave :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Butterscotch » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 pm

Sounds a perfect way to bag these - I'll have to wait till spring now and longer days :)
Butterscotch

Munros:260   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland