walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New Cumnock to Carsphairn

New Cumnock to Carsphairn

Postby dunrig » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

Fionas included on this walk: Blackcraig Hill, Windy Standard

Donalds included on this walk: Alhang, Blackcraig Hill, Blacklorg Hill, Cairnsmore of Carsphairn, Windy Standard

Date walked: 19/06/2013

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was blown away and back to the pub on my pilgrimage from St John's Town of Dalry at the end of April. This is a large part of the route I missed.
Caught a late train to New Cumnock, walked along Afton Water-Blackcraig Hill-Blacklorg Hill-Alwhat-Alhang- Windy Standard-Clennoch bothy-Cairnsmore of Carsphairn-Carsphairn.
Travelled light, just a sleeping bag so I could bivi on top of Cairnsmore of Carsphairn then walk out for bus at the village in the morning. Someone had left a half bottle of whisky at Clennoch bothy, had some as I read bothy book before climbing the hill - made for a good sleep. Apart from local dogwalkers at the start met nobody on this walk. My tip for sleeping out without a tent is forget the whisky but take fleece hat & gloves & pair dry socks.
P1060434.JPG
leaving New Cumnock
P1060439.JPG
few minutes later
P1060442.JPG
by Afton Water
P1060479.JPG
looking back to Blackcraig Hill
P1060480.JPG
Afton reservoir
P1060489.JPG
Windy Standard
P1060505.JPG
Cairnsmore of Carsphairn
P1060507.JPG
bothy with bed of mint
P1060539.JPG
top of Cairnsmore of Carsphairn
P1060529.JPG
P1060521.JPG
bedtime
P1060549.JPG
night time
P1060569.JPG
soon after - morning
P1060574.JPG
P1060632.JPG
looking back
dunrig

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland