walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wander in the Cairngorms

A wander in the Cairngorms

Postby jackfrost » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 22/06/2013

Time taken: 8.75 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 1640m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

AJNicholls invited me up to Aviemore for a wee wander around the plateau. The weather was overcast, with the higher tops in cloud but we had hopes for an improving day. Setting off from the deserted ski car park, we headed into Coire an t-Sneachda and up the Goat Track. Some lingering snowfields on the backwall of the corrie made the final few metres to the plateau a little more interesting - I didn't expect to need an ice axe in late June!

P1020499.JPG
Looking up to the Goat Track from the boulder field in Coire an t-Sneachda

The summit of Ben Macdui was in the clag with light drizzle making everthing a bit miserable, but soon afterwards as we descended towards Derry Cairngorm, the cloud thinned and slowly lifted. Onwards to Beinn Mheadhoin and the summit tor. There was already a pair making the short scramble to the summit as we arrived.

P1020515.JPG
Ascending Beinn Mheadhoin above Loch Etchachan

P1020520.JPG
Traffic jam on the summit tor

P1020524.JPG

Then we headed west to drop down to the Loch A'an basin for a wee snack at the Shelterstone. I was in awe looking at the Sticil towering above, incredulous at the fact I had climbed it in a former life 17years before.

P1020534.JPG
The Shelterstone Crag

P1020537.JPG

The Feith Buidhe was in spate from the melting snowfields up on the plateau. It mde for a tricky crossing.

P1020536.JPG
AJNicholls making the leap of Feith!

We had met a pair of sweaty stravaigers as we descended Beinn Mheadhoin earlier who had enthused about the path in Coire Raibert. They said it was like a staircase which was surprising; on my past ascent in 1991 it was like a quarry of loose rubble. I had originally planned for us to ascend back to the plateau via Coire Domhain, but with this new knowledge we changed our plans and headed up Coire Raibert instead.

P1020540.JPG
Looking back to the Shelterstone from the Coire Raibert path

P1020545.JPG
Looking back across the plateau at the head of Coire Raibert. Derry Cairngorm in the distance.

After a long slog back to the plateau, we had a brief conference.
"Shall we pick up Cairngorm too?"
"Well, we're at 1125m, and its at 1245m - let's do it."

P1020550.JPG
Cairngorm summit

On the knee bashing descent to the car park, my GPS watch chirupped "Battery Low". Tell me about it, I thought. It then died about 2km short of home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jackfrost
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:188
Fionas:37   Donalds:61
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:38

Re: A wander in the Cairngorms

Postby AJNicholls » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:43 pm

It was a pleasure walking with you once again. Also a bonus not to need to navigate. :)

Great day out. Till next time...

Cheers!
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Re: A wander in the Cairngorms

Postby Ibex » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Cool stuff. That is a fair old walk there at 28km, taking in some pretty high points too.
Looking forward to being up there tomorrow and meeting up with AJ. :)

Thats a really unusual structure on the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin. Must be a memorable summit for that alone.
If theres a lot of clag, at least you know where you are at the summit with that beast at the top.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland